Heraldry on the Isle of Man.

The discussion board for all things concerning heraldry which falls under the jurisdiction of The College of Arms
Jonathan Webster

Heraldry on the Isle of Man.

Postby Jonathan Webster » 06 Aug 2012, 10:26

I've just recently returned from a holiday on the Isle of Man; which I took with my herald's hat on; so to speak.

The Isle of Man is a crown dependency; i.e. it is not part of the U.K. and has its own parliament and government, but it shares the same monarch with the United Kingdom and its foreign affairs and defence matters are represented by the government of the United Kingdom

Whilst there is the obvious omnipresent arms of the three legs everywhere:

-I found arms for Douglas; see here:
http://www.douglas.gov.im/

Onchan:
http://www.onchan.org.im/

and there are also arms for Castletown and a couple of other villages.

What struck me in actual fact more than anything was that the national arms were only granted in 1996 by the College of Arms; even though they have been used for centuries and all of the municipal arms are self-assumed. I wonder if this is due to the Isle of Man government not acknowledging the authority of the College? I doubt it, but you never know.

Jonathan Webster

Re: Heraldry on the Isle of Man.

Postby Jonathan Webster » 22 Aug 2012, 16:18

I'm tempted to try to blazon some of these; seems like a bit of a challenge...

Arthur Radburn

Re: Heraldry on the Isle of Man.

Postby Arthur Radburn » 22 Aug 2012, 18:47

Jonathan Webster wrote:I'm tempted to try to blazon some of these; seems like a bit of a challenge...

Well, as that great heraldry scholar Oscar Wilde once wrote : "the only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it." Why not take up the challenge and share the results with us?
Regards
Arthur Radburn

Return to “College of Arms”