A Court Leet Manorial Chain

The discussion board for all things concerning heraldry which falls under the jurisdiction of The College of Arms
Martin Goldstraw
Site Admin

A Court Leet Manorial Chain

Postby Martin Goldstraw » 18 Feb 2015, 12:51

For those who do not have access to copies of The Heraldry Gazette, official newsletter of The Heraldry Society, I have uploaded a copy of my note on the magnificent heraldic jewel sold at auction by Bonhams in July 2007.

http://cheshire-heraldry.org.uk/manorial-chain.pdf
Martin Goldstraw
Cheshire Heraldry
http://cheshire-heraldry.org.uk

Arthur Radburn

Re: A Court Leet Manorial Chain

Postby Arthur Radburn » 18 Feb 2015, 15:25

Thanks for posting the photo and article, Martin.

It's certainly a handsome jewel. I wonder if the earl noticed that the 4th quarter of his arms was enamelled barry Azure and Argent instead of Argent and Azure.

The 8th Earl of Stamford (Rev Harry Grey) whom you mention was a well-known -- and controversial -- figure in late Victorian Cape Town. Had he married the mother of his son before the son was born, instead of afterwards, the son would have inherited the title, in which case Roger Grey would not have been the earl in 1911 and this jewel might never have existed.
Regards
Arthur Radburn

Mike_Oettle

Re: A Court Leet Manorial Chain

Postby Mike_Oettle » 25 Feb 2015, 18:02

Thank you for posting this, Martin.
This should be of interest to my wife, whose maiden name was Massey. Dunham Massey was the original home of that family in England.

Arthur, last year I read a book about Harry Grey and the woman he married (quite a character in her own right).
My interest in it was the involvement of my great-grandfather Albertus Johannes Malan, wagon builder of Wellington and sometime mayor of the town. He was the prime mover in persuading the kerkraad of Wellington to call Dr Andrew Murray to pastor that congregation.
His argument was that Murray needed time to write, and that he would have this luxury while serving in Wellington. The outcome was a fruitful one, as Murray wrote several books while in the Boland town.
Regards,
Mike
The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life.
[Proverbs 14:27]

Return to “College of Arms”