Arms of the New Zealand Herald (Newspaper)

Heraldry from Australasia
Marcus Karlsson

Arms of the New Zealand Herald (Newspaper)

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 12 Mar 2014, 18:53

There are a few Newspapers that have got Armorial Bearings. On the Wikipedia I come across one of these the New Zealand Herald.

Only the shield is shown, pricture done by one A1Aardvark. But there also is a crest which is only blasoned on the page as "On a wreath of the colours two Trumpets in saltire Or bound together by a Maori Taniko in the shape of the letter H proper".

The blason for the shield is also given as "Per chevron Azure and Gules in chief on a Pale Or between a representation of the Constellation of the Southern Cross and a Lymphad sails furled oars in action Argent a Sword point upwards Gules in base a Caduceus Or".

Marcus Karlsson

Re: Arms of the New Zealand Herald (Newspaper)

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 12 Mar 2014, 19:01

The Stars (Southern Cross) and Lymphad clearly alludes to the Arms of New Zealand. The Reason for the Sword I don't know. The Caduceus probably allludes to the mercantile venture of selling the Newspaper to the public. The Trumpets in the Crest are probably a symbol of the Herald part of the name, the Maori Tankio gives a New Zealand connection.

Ryan Shuflin

Postby Ryan Shuflin » 12 Mar 2014, 19:08

Marcus Karlsson wrote:The Stars (Southern Cross) and Lymphad clearly alludes to the Arms of New Zealand. The Reason for the Sword I don't know. The Caduceus probably allludes to the mercantile venture of selling the Newspaper to the public. The Trumpets in the Crest are probably a symbol of the Herald part of the name, the Maori Tankio gives a New Zealand connection.

I think the Caduceus is canting for herald, symbolizing Hermes as Herald of Zeus.

Marcus Karlsson

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 13 Mar 2014, 21:01

Ryan Shuflin wrote:
Marcus Karlsson wrote:The Stars (Southern Cross) and Lymphad clearly alludes to the Arms of New Zealand. The Reason for the Sword I don't know. The Caduceus probably allludes to the mercantile venture of selling the Newspaper to the public. The Trumpets in the Crest are probably a symbol of the Herald part of the name, the Maori Tankio gives a New Zealand connection.

I think the Caduceus is canting for herald, symbolizing Hermes as Herald of Zeus.

Yes indeed it could be, that connection slipped my mind.

Return to “Australasian Heraldry”