DARs Completed in 2017

This is where the V.P. Heraldic Design will post finished projects.
Terry Baldwin

DARs Completed in 2017

Postby Terry Baldwin » 25 Jan 2017, 22:53

DUNCAN Final 300.jpg

Jacob Duncan a resident of Trussville, Alabama, United States of America

Blazon: Gules on a Chevron Argent cotised Or between in chief two Magnolia (Magnolia grandiflora) blooms proper in base a Latin Cross fitched at the foot Argent two North American Indian ceremonial Tomahawks chevronwise proper.

Crest: From a Torse Argent and Gules a Galley under sail proper the sail charged with the Chi Roh monogram and flying from the fore and main masts Pennants Gules and from the stern mast a Banner Argent bearing a Saltire Gules.

Mantling: Gules doubled Argent

Motto: Deus Noster Refugium Et Virtus (God is our refuge and strength)

Herald: Geoff Kingman-Sugars

Artist: Lee Lumbley

Date: 16 January 2017
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,

Terry Baldwin
IAAH Vice President: Heraldic Design

J Duncan of Sketraw

Re: DARs Completed in 2017

Postby J Duncan of Sketraw » 28 Jan 2017, 13:42

Nice to see a fellow Duncan COA :D

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 28 Jan 2017, 16:08

There is, as far as I can ascertain, no rule as to the breadth of the cotises, but had I read the blazon before I saw the emblazonment I would have been expecting something wider.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Michael F. McCartney

Postby Michael F. McCartney » 30 Jan 2017, 07:44

Nice design, very nicely rendered!

The red field, Chevon, magnolia blossoms and nautical crest are a nice example of the Scottish practice of indeterminate cadency, genarally alluding to the general pattern of most Scottish Duncans (as are those of our own JD of Sketraw) without being so closely similar as to suggest a proven genealogical connection. These are lovely!
Michael F. McCartney
Fremont, California

Terry Baldwin

Postby Terry Baldwin » 03 Feb 2017, 20:27

McNulty - Final 300.jpg

Dr. Brady McNulty a resident of Roseburg, Oregon, United States of America

Blazon: Vert on a seme of Maltese Crosses Argent a Wolf rampant Argent armed and langued Gules holding in the dexter forepaw an upright Baton Gules topped Or.

Crest: From a Torse Tenne and Vert standing on a grassy mound within a Ducal Coronet a Beagle statant proper giving cry.

Mantling: Vert doubled Tenne

Motto: Lupus est Fidelis (The Wolf is Faithful)

Date: Arms assumed 29 January 2017
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,

Terry Baldwin

Terry Baldwin

Postby Terry Baldwin » 03 Feb 2017, 20:33

PASHKO Final 300.jpg

Theodore Pashko a resident of Everett, Massachusetts, United States of America

Blazon: Party per Bend-sinister Gules and Sable two Lions double queued combattant Or armed and langued Azure.

Crest: From a Loyalist Civic Coronet Or a Fleur-de-lys Azure.

Mantling: Gules doubled Or

Motto: Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam (I will find a way or make one)

Date: Arms assumed 15 January 2017
Regards,

Terry Baldwin

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 04 Feb 2017, 05:48

The McNulty torse and mantling's tinctures are unconventional perhaps, but not unattractive.

There is unfortunately a spelling error in the McNulty emblazoned motto. Lupus et Fidelis means The Wolf and Faithful. The text of the blazon gives the correct Lupus est Fidelis.

I must take issue with the use of semé as a noun. The McNulty blazon says: Vert on a seme of Maltese Crosses Argent ..., but semé means strewn or sprinkled. So the correct blazon would be: Vert semé of Maltese Crosses Argent ... . (I cannot fathom why semé of is the conventional heraldic English rather than semé with, but it is.)
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 04 Feb 2017, 06:08

The Pashko arms have a a traditional feel to them except for the Loyalist Civic Coronet with its oak and maple leaves. This is not a crest coronet that I have come across before, though I suspect it is not uncommon in Canada. Mr Pashko lives in Massachusetts, so perhaps he likes to live dangerously!

I cannot fault Lee for emblazoning the coronet several hat-sizes larger than the helm over which it hovers. Heraldic artists have been doing the same with torses and coronets since time immemorial. Call me pedantic (go on, everyone else does!), but I side with those who advocate that the torse/coronet and crest should sit on the helm as they would have in reality, rather than being detached and "floating", out of scale with the helm.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

JMcMillan

Postby JMcMillan » 04 Feb 2017, 15:07

Chris Green wrote:I must take issue with the use of semé as a noun. The McNulty blazon says: Vert on a seme of Maltese Crosses Argent ..., but semé means strewn or sprinkled. So the correct blazon would be: Vert semé of Maltese Crosses Argent ... . (I cannot fathom why semé of is the conventional heraldic English rather than semé with, but it is.)

Probably because the French is semé de. Personally, I would like to see heraldic English become more accepting of plain English terminology. We justify the technical language because it supposedly has more precise meanings, but "Green strewn with silver Maltese crosses" is just as clear as the conventional blazon. If we're going to start off with two French words and end with another, why not just go whole hog and write "Vert semé des croix maltaises d'argent"?

All by way of agreeing with Chris's final observation: I can't fathom why...but it is.
Joseph McMillan
Alexandra, Virginia, USA

JMcMillan

Postby JMcMillan » 04 Feb 2017, 15:27

Chris Green wrote:The Pashko arms have a a traditional feel to them except for the Loyalist Civic Coronet with its oak and maple leaves. This is not a crest coronet that I have come across before, though I suspect it is not uncommon in Canada. Mr Pashko lives in Massachusetts, so perhaps he likes to live dangerously!

This and the corresponding "Loyalist military coronet" were invented by the Canadian Heraldic Authority as a distinction for the arms of descendants of people who left the newly independent United States during and in the immediate aftermath of the revolution because it turned out they'd put their chips on the losing side--I'm sorry, I mean because of their abiding allegiance to George III. I don't know if it would be categorized as common or uncommon, but there appear to be at least several dozen, maybe more, arms granted by the CHA that include it.
Joseph McMillan
Alexandra, Virginia, USA

Return to “Design Assistance Requests”