Arms of the Portuguese SIRP.

Heraldry of Potugal
Marcus Karlsson

Arms of the Portuguese SIRP.

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 06 Nov 2012, 22:36

Came across the Arms of the Sistema de Informações da República Portuguesa (SIRP - Information System of the Portuguese Republic). This is a Body created in 2007 to coordinate the Intelligence Services SIS and SIED.

Picture from http://aeiou.expresso.pt/os-lusiadas-inspiram-brasao-do-patrao-das-secretas-portuguesas=f110174

Chris Green

Re: Arms of the Portuguese SIRP.

Postby Chris Green » 07 Nov 2012, 08:13

Here's a stab at a blazon in English: Sable a crenellated wall pierced by three un-gated entrances argent between in chief two lighted antique oil lamps and in base an armillary sphere all or; crest a crowned phoenix argent rising from flames gules. The armillary sphere is a traditional Portuguese heraldic device (appears behind the national CoA) which symbolises discovery. The two lamps presumably refer to the two agencies, and the wall to defence against attack (though why there are three undoored entrances I cannot begin to guess).

Are there any Portuguese speakers who could provide a translation of the motto?
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Ryan Shuflin

Postby Ryan Shuflin » 07 Nov 2012, 11:48

I am wondering about the lamps, I noticed they are facing different directions, how is this blazoned?

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 07 Nov 2012, 11:54

I am wondering about the lamps, I noticed they are facing different directions, how is this blazoned?

Good point. If it isn't in the blazon (see my attempt) then it would be up to the artist to decide. (S)he might think it was better balanced that way than both facing the same direction. Or they could be addorsed which means back-to-back (assuming that the flame end is the front of course).
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

JMcMillan

Postby JMcMillan » 07 Nov 2012, 13:22

Chris Green wrote:Are there any Portuguese speakers who could provide a translation of the motto?

It's a quotation from the Portuguese national epic, Os Lusiadas, "With strength and more importantly with wisdom."
Joseph McMillan
Alexandra, Virginia, USA

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 07 Nov 2012, 13:59

Very apt.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

JMcMillan

Postby JMcMillan » 07 Nov 2012, 15:38

I should say that "saber" also means "knowledge" as well as wisdom. The context in the Lusiads suggests the latter, but in the case of an intelligence service it probably means the former.
Joseph McMillan
Alexandra, Virginia, USA

Chas Charles-Dunne

Postby Chas Charles-Dunne » 08 Nov 2012, 14:24

If memory serves, I have seen English arms (same, but in a different way), blazonned differently.

Shield: Sable, on a fess embattled and masoned Argent, issuing from the base 3 billets with rounded tops of the field, in chief 2 antique lamps inflamed flames outwards and in base an armillary sphere all Or.

For crest: A phoenix Argent crowned Or rising from the flames Gules.

Strictly speaking we are seeing silver on white, so a small fudge is in order. I do not know whether the lamps should be blazonned inflamed or enflamed. The armillary sphere seems to be topped with a cross of some sort but is it Maltese or patonce or something else? Not enough detail.
Regards
Chas
IAAH Fellow

steven harris

Postby steven harris » 06 Dec 2012, 00:55

The fess-bridge on these arms remind me of the arms of Iona Campagnolo, Lieutenant-Governor of British Columbia

Arms: Azure two pallets wavy, overall a double arched bridge Argent masoned Azure

That would make these arms: Sable, an embattled and triple-arched bridge Argent masoned Sable, between two antique lamps addorsed and an armillary sphere Or. Even still, I have to fight the urge to call this bridge a fess!
Steven A. Harris, Fellow
IAAH member since February 2008
https://goo.gl/btEhVg

Return to “Portuguese heraldry”