They Made the Royal Arms

The discussion board for all things concerning heraldry which falls under the jurisdiction of The College of Arms
Martin Goldstraw
Site Admin

They Made the Royal Arms

Postby Martin Goldstraw » 02 Jan 2019, 12:10

I have in my possession a small booklet I acquired some years ago entitled "They Made The Royal Arms". It has a small inscription inside "Jean, from Grandma; September 1960." and it is a one act play first published in 1937 (though this is a reprint of 1938). In this play, the Royal Coat of Arms is gradually built up in front of the audience by the Kings and Queens of England who contributed to it. The play can be given indoors or out-of-doors; no scenery is required other than the door of a house or the triumphal arch, on which the various Coat of Arms are assembled. It is a lovely little play, well researched, and I would love to see it performed.

they-made-royal-arms.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Martin Goldstraw
Cheshire Heraldry
http://cheshire-heraldry.org.uk

Ton de Witte

Re: They Made the Royal Arms

Postby Ton de Witte » 02 Jan 2019, 16:21

nice !
Ton de Witte
IAAH secretary

Iain Boyd

Postby Iain Boyd » 04 Jan 2019, 21:27

A google search for "they made the royal arms" brought up the following -

<https://www.stgeorgesharrogate.org/stg16pantos.htm>

in relation to St George's House, Northern Police Orphanage, Harrowgate where the play was performed in 1948 to celebrate the 50th year of St George's House.

The web page includes some interesting photographs.

Regards,

Iain Boyd

Ryan Shuflin

Postby Ryan Shuflin » 05 Jan 2019, 12:15

Here is an interesting idea. You could use kickstarter to raise money for it, contact a theater department at an educational institution in order to get actors and costumes etc. If you do that you should film it.

Return to “College of Arms”