Heraldry of the armies, navies and airforces of the world
Marcus Karlsson

Arms of some South African Army Schools

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 08 Dec 2012, 18:42

From http://sadf.info/ Arms of some South African Army Schools:

Army Battle School.

Personnel Services School.

School of Engineers.

Infantry School. The colours of the South African Infantry i Black, Gold and Green as seen in the Arms. To futher symbolises the Infantry two Bayonets in saltire are included.

Marcus Karlsson

Re: Arms of some South African Army Schools

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 08 Dec 2012, 18:48

The Parachute School, The colour of the field is the Burgundy Red of the Paratroopers.

Special Forces School. Fromerly the Colours of the SA Special Froces where Black and White or in heraldic terms Sable and Argent.

Military Academy, whose Arms shoew the Protea - National Flower of South Africa Protea. The Scroll below the Protea carries the Motto Discendo Armemus.

Army Woman's College/Leërvrouekollege. Motto: Este Parati.
Last edited by Marcus Karlsson on 10 Dec 2012, 20:23, edited 2 times in total.

Marcus Karlsson

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 08 Dec 2012, 18:57

Armour School. Orange and Blue are the Colours of the SA Armoured Troops. The WW I Tank features in the Badge of the SA Armoured Troops inherited no doubt from the Badge of Britain's Royal Tank Corps (Now Royal Tank Regiment).

Artillery School.

Military Police School. The Knot and Sword alludes to the Legend of Alexander the Great and the Gordian Knot. As Alexander solved the problem with the Cut by his Sword so the MP:s are called to solve their mission by using not only force but also their brains.

Military Intelligence College. This I belive is a Joint Services Organisation.

Army Intelligence School. Motto: Lux ad gladium.

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 09 Dec 2012, 06:59

I wonder what the unusual stars(?) are in the arms of the Military Intelligence College? My fear is that if I found out they would have to kill me.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Marcus Karlsson

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 09 Dec 2012, 07:40

Chris Green wrote:I wonder what the unusual stars(?) are in the arms of the Military Intelligence College? My fear is that if I found out they would have to kill me.

Well Chris I think the Stars are Compass Roses, denoting the many directions from which Intelligence is gathered.

Iain Boyd

Postby Iain Boyd » 09 Dec 2012, 09:14

I am pretty sure that the stars of the Military Intelligence College's arms are not compass roses, but, they do represent the five stars of the southern cross.

Iain Boyd

Arthur Radburn

Postby Arthur Radburn » 09 Dec 2012, 14:05

Marcus Karlsson wrote:Image
Military Academy, whose Arms shoew the Protea - National Flower of South Africa Sydafrikas nationalblomma Protea. The Scroll below the Protea carries the Motto Discendo Armemus.

These are the Academy arms as used in the 1970s and early '80s. They simply took their cloth sleeve patch, dating from the 1950s, and stuck it onto a shield. A heraldically better design was approved in the 1980s :

The flower is actually the Red Disa, which is the floral emblem of the (Western) Cape Province, where the Academy is situated.

Some other training school arms to add to the display :

SA Defence College - trains staff officers for joint service staff work. Green is the colour of the SA National Defence Force, the three torches are in the colours of the Army, SA Air Force, and SA Navy. The arms date from 1973 - I don't know if they're still current.

SA Army College - where Army staff officers are trained.

Anti-Aircraft School.
Regards
Arthur Radburn

Arthur Radburn

Postby Arthur Radburn » 09 Dec 2012, 14:10

Marcus Karlsson wrote:Armour School. Orange and Blue are the Colours of the SA Armoured Troops. The WW I Tank features in the Badge of the SA Armoured Troops inherited no doubt from the Badge of Britain's Royal Tank Corps (Now Royal Tank Regiment).

The WWI tank was in the badge of SA Tank Corps, which existed from 1940 to 1943. The SATC badge was indeed based on the RTR badge. The SA Armoured Corps, which succeeded the SATC, adopted the badge of 1 Special Service Battalion, namely three protea flowers. This was superseded by the current badge of a mailed fist in the 1990s.

Army Intelligence School. Motto: Lux ad gladium.

One of the most striking of all Army unit coats of arms, IMO. This unit was originally an infantry training battalion called 11 Commando, and I suspect that the arms,which date from around 1975, were inspired by the patch of the Supreme HQ Allied Expeditionary Forces.
Regards
Arthur Radburn

Marcus Karlsson

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 10 Dec 2012, 20:22

Iain Boyd wrote:I am pretty sure that the stars of the Military Intelligence College's arms are not compass roses, but, they do represent the five stars of the southern cross.

Iain Boyd

Well perhaps then compass roses palced in the formation of the Southern Cross?

Marcus Karlsson

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 10 Dec 2012, 20:24

Thanks Arthur for the additons and corrections.

Return to “Military Heraldry”