District (Kreis) Arms of East Prussia

Heraldry of the German speaking countries
Ryan Shuflin

Re: District (Kreis) Arms of East Prussia

Postby Ryan Shuflin » 23 Apr 2013, 11:11

I have tried, interestingly with google I can only find the one emblazonment of the Insterburg arms. I think arms for geographic regions and municipalities is a modern innovation as well as indicating the local industry. Although Solingen has swords in its arms, Passau and Toledo do not, although all of them are known as places where swords are made.

Marcus Karlsson

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 28 Feb 2015, 17:21

At last I found the symbolism of the District of Insterburg Coat of Arms. From http://wiki-de.genealogy.net/Landkreis_Insterburg
The Brick Wall symbolises the Castle of the Teutonic Order at Insterburg. The War Hammer and Mace is from the Arms of Johann Pein, Amtshauptman of Insterburg and Prussian Admiral in the Battle of Bornholm 1535.

Marcus Karlsson

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 28 Feb 2015, 17:24

District of Mohrungen. The Coat of Arms of this District was designed by Otto Hupp and approved by the Prussian Staatsministerium in 1928.

Ryan Shuflin

Postby Ryan Shuflin » 02 Mar 2015, 22:47

Marcus Karlsson wrote:District of Mohrungen. The Coat of Arms of this District was designed by Otto Hupp and approved by the Prussian Staatsministerium in 1928.

The lion is possibly an allusion to Hendrich v. Plauen a Teutonic Grandmaster? (the Plauen dynasty is now know by the name of Reuss)

Return to “German Heraldry”