Sir Andrew Murray?

Scottish Heraldry
Chris Green

Sir Andrew Murray?

Postby Chris Green » 09 Jul 2013, 15:26

So if the Wimbledon champion receives a knighthood as many (including the PM) think he should, what should his CoA look like?

The basic Murray arms are Azure three molets argent. Assuming that "Sir" Andy has no direct link to an armigerous ancestor (but perhaps you know different?!) Lord Lyon might allow him arms that included a nod to the ancient arms. Perhaps we should try to come up with something suitable (avoidíng cliches such as crossed tennis rackets and three tennis balls argent).

Of course he wouldn't be entitled to supporters, but he hardly needs them as he has lots of those already, many wildly waving autograph books.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

steven harris

Re: Sir Andrew Murray?

Postby steven harris » 09 Jul 2013, 17:14

Chris Green wrote:Lord Lyon might allow him arms that included a nod to the ancient arms.

I was under the impression that Lyon required nods based on surname - regardless of there being any shared ancestry, or not.

Thus, I'd guess that Lyon would insist upon some variant of Azure three mullets Argent within a double tressure flory counterflory Or.

Fred Perry notwithstanding, Virginia Wade of England won the Wimbledon Ladies' Championship in 1977 - she was made an OBE in 1986. Andy Murray got his OBE on the 2013 New Year Honors list.
Steven A. Harris, Fellow
IAAH member since February 2008
https://goo.gl/btEhVg

JMcMillan

Postby JMcMillan » 09 Jul 2013, 20:16

steven harris wrote:
Chris Green wrote:Lord Lyon might allow him arms that included a nod to the ancient arms.

I was under the impression that Lyon required nods based on surname - regardless of there being any shared ancestry, or not.

Thus, I'd guess that Lyon would insist upon some variant of Azure three mullets Argent within a double tressure flory counterflory Or.

The core Murray arms are the three white stars on blue; the tressure is (as I understand it) not an integral part of the stem arms.

(I'd suggest that the UK needs to take a deep breath--which it has time to do between now and the next honors list at the end of the year--and think about whether two major championships really rates a knighthood. Especially considering that Rod Laver (with 11), Ken Rosewall (8), and John Newcombe (7) have only one officership among them.)

(Also note that there is no requirement for a knight to obtain a coat of arms, although he obviously would receive a grant if he applied for one, and Andy Murray could obviously afford the fees.)
Joseph McMillan
Alexandra, Virginia, USA

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 09 Jul 2013, 20:54

The problem we have with sports knighthoods is that every sport wants one. Cycling got one last. Tennis has never had one. The pressure to give Murray his K will be enormous - and the PM (who has quite considerable influence in such matters) has already said he should have one.

My aim in raising this was not to discuss the rights and wrongs of Murray getting a gong, but rather to stimulate discussion of what his arms might be were he to be granted same after receiving a K.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Ryan Shuflin

Postby Ryan Shuflin » 09 Jul 2013, 22:01

Well, he does have a "castle." That is a Victorian House turned hotel that he recently bought. The website uses the coat of arms of a younger son of the Earl of Kinnoull, who built the house. http://www.cromlix.com/

I imagine he will have some reference to the arms of Erskine, his mother's family, as well as of course a reference to tennis. Perhaps something like argent fretty azure, a pale azure with three mullets of the field. The fretty referencing a tennis racket and the pale the erskine arms. The crest could be a demi-savage holding a bezant in one hand and a skene in the other. The motto could be something like: Furth, Fortune, and Forehand

steven harris

Postby steven harris » 10 Jul 2013, 16:17

Ryan Shuflin wrote:Well, he does have a "castle." That is a Victorian House turned hotel that he recently bought. The website uses the coat of arms of a younger son of the Earl of Kinnoull, who built the house. http://www.cromlix.com/

Perhaps as "Murray of Cromlix" then?
Steven A. Harris, Fellow
IAAH member since February 2008
https://goo.gl/btEhVg

Return to “Court of the Lord Lyon”