Arms of the Vice Presidents of the United States

Heraldry in the United States
Jonathan Webster

Arms of the Vice Presidents of the United States

Postby Jonathan Webster » 22 Aug 2013, 17:57

I am aware that several of the Presidents of the United States were armigerous, but were any of the Vice-Presidents other than those who later became Presidents armigerous? The only one I am aware of who was is former Vice President Spiro Agnew.

JMcMillan

Re: Arms of the Vice Presidents of the United States

Postby JMcMillan » 22 Aug 2013, 21:03

Vice Presidents that I know of who bore (or were entitled to have borne) heraldic arms:

4. George Clinton - Argent six cross crosslets fitchy Sable on a chief Azure two mullets Or pierced Gules.

6. Daniel D. Tompkins reportedly bore Azure on a chevron between three cock-pheasants close Or three cross-crosslets Sable, according to Bolton's American Armory.

7. John C. Calhoun, I believe, used the Scottish arms of Colquhoun of Luss undifferenced, Argent a saltire engrailed Sable. Or at least I've seen them attributed to him.

27. James S. Sherman would have been entitled to Or a lion rampant Sable between three oak leaves Vert, although whether he actually used this coat or not I don't know.

There may be some others; one would have to know the genealogy of the VPs.
Joseph McMillan
Alexandra, Virginia, USA

Jonathan Webster

Postby Jonathan Webster » 23 Aug 2013, 01:03

Apparently, Aaron Burr (3rd Vice President) was descended from an English family from amongst the landed gentry whore Arms were: Ermine, on a chief indented sable, two lions
rampant, or.

Benjamin Thornton

Postby Benjamin Thornton » 23 Aug 2013, 03:56

According to the article linked herein, the Rockefellers had arms, but one wonders whether Nelson ever used them:

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=FB0B1EFD385A17738DDDAD0894D1405B888CF1D3

The arms are described as "two rocks on red fields and two horns on white fields".
Ben

Saepe Ridete Beneque

Return to “United States Heraldry”