Liechtenstein coat of arms

Heraldry of the German speaking countries
Ryan Shuflin

Liechtenstein coat of arms

Postby Ryan Shuflin » 05 Sep 2013, 08:53

An interesting banner with the coat of arms of Liechtenstein:
Last edited by Ryan Shuflin on 05 Sep 2013, 13:19, edited 1 time in total.

Ton de Witte

Re: Liecthenstein coat of arms

Postby Ton de Witte » 05 Sep 2013, 09:45

interesting, also the arms on the edges seems that several are reversed.
Ton de Witte
IAAH secretary

Ryan Shuflin

Postby Ryan Shuflin » 05 Sep 2013, 13:07

It is interesting, the banner I believe is from 1615, in which case it is from the reign of Karl I. Interestingly, the website of the Princely House describes this: Image has the arms of Karl I but also has his portrait with different arms: Image

The Or per Fess Gules is the Liechtenstein family arms, Gules per pale Argent(which is sometimes reversed) is for the Silesian Duchy of Troppau, as is the Silesian eagle. I also see the Hohenzollern arms, and what appears to be the arms of a Bourbon Prince on the banner.

Kathy McClurg

Postby Kathy McClurg » 05 Oct 2013, 17:32

Ton de Witte wrote:interesting, also the arms on the edges seems that several are reversed.

Ton, could it be they are respectful of the center?
Be well,
Kathy

GJKS

Postby GJKS » 06 Oct 2013, 08:20

Ryan Shuflin wrote:The Or per Fess Gules is the Liechtenstein family arms, Gules per pale Argent(which is sometimes reversed) is for the Silesian Duchy of Troppau, as is the Silesian eagle.

Very strange blazoning! From where did it originate? 'Would also love to see the blazon for those Lichtenstein arms.
Regards,
Geoff

JMcMillan

Postby JMcMillan » 06 Oct 2013, 14:38

GJKS wrote:
Ryan Shuflin wrote:The Or per Fess Gules is the Liechtenstein family arms, Gules per pale Argent(which is sometimes reversed) is for the Silesian Duchy of Troppau, as is the Silesian eagle.

Very strange blazoning! From where did it originate?

It sounds like direct conversion to English of the traditional French style, "D'or coupé de gueules," "De gueules parti d'argent." The present official blazons of those two fields are "von Gold und Rot geteilt" and "von Rot und Silber gespalten." The literal English translations would be "divided (or shared) of gold and red" and "split (or cleft) of red and silver."

https://www.gesetze.li/Seite1.jsp?LGBl= ... wLGBl=true

You just have to know that coupé and geteilt refer to a fesswise division and parti and gespalten to a palewise one.

As an aside, early English blazons often used the formula "Party gules and silver," with "per pale" implicit in the word "party" unless otherwise specified.
Joseph McMillan
Alexandra, Virginia, USA

Jonathan Webster

Re: Liechtenstein coat of arms

Postby Jonathan Webster » 27 May 2014, 12:54

Quite remarkable; given the fact that the Princes of Liechtenstein are ethnically German, and given the extent to which German heraldry makes use of helms and crests; that I have never seen either a Crest or Helmet used in connection with the Arms of Dominion of Liechtenstein. Does anyone know if the Princes ever used a Crest and Helm, and if so, what was/is it? The use in the first picture of the Princely Crown as a Crest seems to me somewhat unofficial.

Return to “German Heraldry”