The National Arms of the French Republic

The Heraldry of France
Jonathan Webster

The National Arms of the French Republic

Postby Jonathan Webster » 04 Sep 2013, 16:03

Just wondering if anyone with a bit more knowledge than me in this area can shed some light on this for me:

Although France had national Arms during its monarchical eras (both as a Kingdom and an Empire), as a Republic; both the 1792-1804 and 1848-1852 Republics never adopted national Arms and; whilst the present Constitution of France only specifies the National Flag to be a national emblem, and makes no reference to any national Arms nor any non-heraldic emblem, nonetheless in 1905 Arms were devised for France for a State visit of King Alfonso XIIII of Spain. These Arms featured a fasces Or surrounded by a wreath, also Or, on an Azure field. These were used more or less consistently until the Second World War. In 1953 another depiction was designed for use in the UN buildings alongside the Coats of Arms of other UN members. Very loosely described as a Coat of Arms (it features the golden letters R and F conjoined on a highly stylised shield, with an Or field. (yes, I know what you are thinking).
This achievement is presently used on French passports.

Every reference I have found about both the 1905 Arms and the 1953 Arms refers to them both as the
'Arms of France', or the 1905 Arms are described so, or the 1953 Arms. Which is confusing. I believe the 1905 Arms are still also used in some official capacity (but I can't for the life of me remember what). So which are actually the National Arms of France? The 1953 Arms? The 1905 ones? Both? Neither (as neither has been officially adopted)? All very confusing and I would appreciate any information as regards it.
Last edited by Jonathan Webster on 29 May 2020, 20:37, edited 1 time in total.

Jonathan Webster

Re: The National Arms of the French Republic

Postby Jonathan Webster » 04 Sep 2013, 16:16

Here are the 1905 Arms (which were apparently designed in 1898):
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8d/Coat_of_arms_of_France.png
Last edited by Jonathan Webster on 04 Sep 2013, 16:26, edited 1 time in total.

Jonathan Webster

Postby Jonathan Webster » 04 Sep 2013, 16:24

And these are the 1953 Arms:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Armoiries_r%C3%A9publique_fran%C3%A7aise.svg

-Which to only add to the confusion were originally adopted in 1912 for use on French Embassies.

JMcMillan

Postby JMcMillan » 05 Sep 2013, 02:30

As the article on this subject on French Wikipedia says, à l'heure actuelle, la République française n'a pas d'armoiries officielles.

("At the present time, the French Republic has no official arms.")

This emblem
fills the role of a coat of arms, in that it is mounted above the doors of French embassies and consulates, is imprinted on French passports, and is used at the Elysee. But it is, I believe, only described in official use as an emblem, not as armoiries.
Joseph McMillan
Alexandra, Virginia, USA

Jonathan Webster

Postby Jonathan Webster » 05 Sep 2013, 04:43

True, but it does have a shield (the thing with the cocks head, fleur-de-lys and lions head on the front of the bundle of fasces, and it has an official blazon, so I suppose in that sense it is a Coat of Arms, albeit not a particularly good one (quite an awful one in fact), albeit rather loosely. :)

Ryan Shuflin

Postby Ryan Shuflin » 06 Sep 2013, 08:30

French Republicanism has never been friendly to the art of heraldry. The 1st republic being responsible for the defacement of heraldic tombstones in many churches. So it is fitting that the Republic does not have a coat of arms.

Jonathan Webster

Postby Jonathan Webster » 06 Sep 2013, 20:25

I wouldn't go so far to say it doesn't have Arms, they're just not particular good ones (which is putting it mildly), and they have not been adopted officially, but they are used in practice.

Return to “French Heraldry”