19th c. Coat of Arms Austria

Heraldry of the German speaking countries
Maurice Meslans

19th c. Coat of Arms Austria

Postby Maurice Meslans » 06 Nov 2013, 22:15

This is a large serving spoon Austrian Vienna after 1851 by Josef Carl von Klinkosch with the royal warrant mark.
I posted this on several sites, I thought it would be easy to find, I couldn't, nor evidently could anyone else.
Maurice Meslans

Ryan Shuflin

Re: 19th c. Coat of Arms Austria

Postby Ryan Shuflin » 07 Nov 2013, 14:44

Very interesting. It combines the double headed eagle with a ship at sea. A ship at sea is a common device used in colonial and seafaring related arms, for obvious reasons. I for one would not expect to find them on a spoon in Austria as it is not a nation that is known for its coastline or colonial expansion. This raises some questions. Was it a grant to a famous Austrian sailor? In that case, if he is really a count as the crown suggests, then were people without arms elevated to the title of Count at this time period? Could it instead be a symbol of an institution and not a person or familiy?

Maurice Meslans

Postby Maurice Meslans » 07 Nov 2013, 15:00

I also found a ship on an Austrian spoon a bit odd, but of course at this period it was the Austro-Hungarian Empire which included the Coast of present day Croatia. I know nothing about the granting of arms. It could be the arms of an institution for instance of an officers mess, but the most likely situation is that it was for a family. Normally a raised or applied arms or crest were only used for large sets, as a single piece would probably just be engraved.
Maurice Meslans

Ton de Witte

Postby Ton de Witte » 07 Nov 2013, 15:15

In 1851 the Austrian Empire had a shoreline namely bits that now are a part of Italy and Croatia, so a ship is not that strange as a charge for an Austrian in that time.
Ton de Witte
IAAH secretary

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 08 Nov 2013, 05:37

Ludwig Ritter von Fautz possibly?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ludwig_von_Fautz
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Ryan Shuflin

Postby Ryan Shuflin » 08 Nov 2013, 10:15

I found similar arms for Hard, an Austrian town on Lake Constance. It was granted in 1920. If the ship as such was a symbol of Lake Constance, than you might want to search for armorial around there. I am not sure how that would explain it appearing on a spoon in Vienna. I noble family moving to the capital though does sound feasible.

Return to “German Heraldry”