Helm of Emperor Charles V

Heraldry of the German speaking countries
Chris Green

Re: Helm of Emperor Charles V

Postby Chris Green » 18 Nov 2013, 15:12

My point in transferring this thread to "German Heraldry" was that the Emperor Charles V was most decidedly not French (where the thread originated). There being no HRE area, I was left with a choice between Germany and Spain. But Charles wasn't the fifth of Spain, nor its Emperor, so German it had to be, since the only other alternative was "Benelux Heraldry", as he was born in Ghent/Gent/Gand, but I reckoned on more raised eyebrows with that solution that the German one. Simple isn't it!
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Kenneth Mansfield

Postby Kenneth Mansfield » 21 Nov 2013, 12:55

Why not "Heraldic Art"? Then no one has to worry about classifications.
Kenneth Mansfield
VITAM FORTITER AGERE

JMcMillan

Postby JMcMillan » 21 Nov 2013, 16:53

Chris Green wrote:My point in transferring this thread to "German Heraldry" was that the Emperor Charles V was most decidedly not French (where the thread originated). There being no HRE area, I was left with a choice between Germany and Spain. But Charles wasn't the fifth of Spain, nor its Emperor, so German it had to be, since the only other alternative was "Benelux Heraldry", as he was born in Ghent/Gent/Gand, but I reckoned on more raised eyebrows with that solution that the German one. Simple isn't it!

Charles may not have been the fifth Spanish king of that name, but is nevertheless invariably referred to in Spain as "Carlos Quinto."
Joseph McMillan
Alexandra, Virginia, USA

Ryan Shuflin

Postby Ryan Shuflin » 21 Nov 2013, 20:34

JMcMillan wrote:Charles may not have been the fifth Spanish king of that name, but is nevertheless invariably referred to in Spain as "Carlos Quinto."

I think the idea is that he is primarily known by his Imperial title, even in Spain.

Chas Charles-Dunne

Postby Chas Charles-Dunne » 25 Nov 2013, 14:23

Getting back to the topic. Here is another example, but I wonder why someone would want a chicken, rather than a bird of prey.

‘This helmet is remarkable for the three-dimensional figure of a rooster’s head in the center of the visor, which is an outstanding example of sculpture in steel and is unprecedented even among mask visors.’ - The Metropolitan Museum of Art
Regards
Chas
IAAH Fellow

JMcMillan

Postby JMcMillan » 25 Nov 2013, 15:26

Chas Charles-Dunne wrote:Getting back to the topic. Here is another example, but I wonder why someone would want a chicken, rather than a bird of prey.

A gamecock, no doubt.

Nasty, nasty critters. Scarier than your run of the mill eagle or hawk.
Joseph McMillan
Alexandra, Virginia, USA

Ryan Shuflin

Postby Ryan Shuflin » 25 Nov 2013, 18:46

There are several styles of these parade helms here is a collection of some of them http://korokcsodai.blogspot.de/2012/06/grotesque-helmet-and-other-parade.html

Looking at many of them, it seems they follow standard shapes, with the designs adopted to the shape of the helm, which contributes to the deformity of the animals depicted. I recently have come to appreciate grotesque art such as this, mainly because of the way it is totally different from modern ascetics. I don't think it needs explaining why some of these helms are depicted in heraldry.

Chas Charles-Dunne

Postby Chas Charles-Dunne » 25 Nov 2013, 19:00

I've always thought that these types were rather cool.

Regards
Chas
IAAH Fellow

Jeremy Kudlick

Postby Jeremy Kudlick » 26 Nov 2013, 12:20

Chas Charles-Dunne wrote:Getting back to the topic. Here is another example, but I wonder why someone would want a chicken, rather than a bird of prey.

Sir Robin, perhaps? :lol:
Jeremy Kudlick
IAAH Associate Fellow
Semper Patriam Servire Praesto

Ton de Witte

Postby Ton de Witte » 26 Nov 2013, 12:55

:D
Ton de Witte
IAAH secretary

Return to “German Heraldry”