Personal Accomplishment Complete

Heraldry in the United States
Nicholas Hutchinson

Personal Accomplishment Complete

Postby Nicholas Hutchinson » 02 Aug 2012, 19:06

Here is the completed CoA with standard and badge.
Thoughts? Impressions? Blazoning help appreciated.
Looking forward to what you all have to say!

Thanks!!
"Family is our Strength"

Chris Green

Re: Personal Accomplishment Complete

Postby Chris Green » 03 Aug 2012, 06:26

Congratulations Nicholas. I think you have done an excellent job. You have used the Forum very sensibly: putting up suggestions and options, listening to other suggestions and options, learning as you go, using your graphics tool (which one by the way?) very skillfully, but always confident that the result would be your CoA, your badge, and your standard, not something designed for you by someone else - or worse by a committee! I trust your family appreciates your talent.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Arthur Radburn

Postby Arthur Radburn » 03 Aug 2012, 09:18

That's excellent, Nicholas. When you put the arms, the standard, and the badge together like that, it makes a very impressive display. Are you going to frame it and hang it on the wall?
Regards
Arthur Radburn

steven harris

Postby steven harris » 03 Aug 2012, 15:58

Very nice indeed!

My only comment (and it is only that, my comment) is that the way that you badge is couped (that is, cut off by a straight line) leads me to wonder how it would look if incorporated into your crest? With the red sun as a background behind him.

Like I said, you've got a very nice achievement - I was just wondering...
Steven A. Harris, Fellow
IAAH member since February 2008
https://goo.gl/btEhVg

Nicholas Hutchinson

Postby Nicholas Hutchinson » 03 Aug 2012, 22:50

Chris Green wrote:... using your graphics tool (which one by the way?)

I use Illustrator to do 99% of the work.

Now let's try and get the blazon for the entire accomplishment figured out. Here is my stab at it:

Blazon: Per pale raguly argent and sable, in dexter a fleur-de-lis azure and a rose gules, barbed and seeded proper, in sinister a griffin segreant argent, beaked and clawed or, armed and langued gules.
Crest: Upon a torse of the colors a demi sun gules.
Motto: Family Is Our Strength
Badge: A male demi-griffin segreant Sable, beaked Or, langued Gules, rayed and armed Argent, holding in the dexter claw a rose Gules barbed, seeded, slipped and leaved proper.
Standard: In the hoist, the arms of Nicholas Hutchinson; in the fly Argent divided into three compartments by two transverse bands Sable bearing the motto FAMILY IS OUR STRENGTH in letters Argent, in the first and third compartments his badge and in the second his crest; fringed compony Argent and Sable.

Any changes that we see may be necessary??

Cheers!!
"Family is our Strength"

Chas Charles-Dunne

Postby Chas Charles-Dunne » 04 Aug 2012, 12:28

beaked and clawed or, should be beaked and legged Or, (it is armed Gules).
Regards
Chas
IAAH Fellow

Arthur Radburn

Postby Arthur Radburn » 04 Aug 2012, 15:00

My thoughts (words in [ ] can be omitted) :

Arms: Per pale raguly argent and sable, [in] dexter in pale a fleur-de-lis azure and a rose gules, barbed and seeded proper, [in] sinister a griffin segreant argent, beaked and [clawed] legged or, armed and langued gules.

Alternatively, 'membered' can be used in place of 'legged'.

Crest: [Upon a torse of the colors] a demi sun gules.
Regards
Arthur Radburn

Nicholas Hutchinson

Re: Personal Accomplishment Complete - THANK YOU

Postby Nicholas Hutchinson » 24 Mar 2014, 23:18

I just wanted to say, THANK YOU to all the members for your feedback and advice on creating this achievement! I have been very happy with it. I am now working to help others create personal arms for themselves and aiding them in the design via my chosen graphics medium (Illustrator mostly). Again, thank you and I hope to have many more future interactions with this wonderful community and the rich resource that it provides.

Nick
"Family is our Strength"

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 25 Mar 2014, 06:14

Nicholas:

I am glad you found our contributions helpful.

Now you are setting up in competition with our design assistance service?! Joking aside, designing coats of arms properly is not for the faint-hearted. Anyone can strew an ordinary or subordinary or two and a few charges across an empty shield and call it heraldry. But getting it right is both an art and a science.

May I suggest that you help people to get their ideas together and show them the results using Illustrator. Then when they are making progress guide them in our direction. You can point to the successful outcome of your interaction with us as the best of reasons for their doing the same.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Return to “United States Heraldry”