Some Norwegian Military Heraldry

Heraldry of the armies, navies and airforces of the world
Chris Green

Re: Some Norwegian Military Heraldry

Postby Chris Green » 27 Mar 2014, 20:50

No pictures on the latest two posts? I can see those in previous posts so I don't think the problem is with me.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Bruce E Weller

Postby Bruce E Weller » 28 Mar 2014, 08:38

None here either (Linux-Mozilla Firefox if that assists)

Martin Goldstraw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Goldstraw » 28 Mar 2014, 10:00

As admin of the forum I have looked at the code in the relevant posts; there are no images included.
Martin Goldstraw
Cheshire Heraldry
http://cheshire-heraldry.org.uk

Jeremy Kudlick

Postby Jeremy Kudlick » 28 Mar 2014, 14:03

I believe Marcus is referring to the images here: http://m.forsvaret.no/om-forsvaret/fakt ... vapen.aspx
Jeremy Kudlick
IAAH Associate Fellow
Semper Patriam Servire Praesto

Marcus Karlsson

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 28 Mar 2014, 16:12

Yes you are rigth Jeremy I'am referring to the Arms shown in the Link. Sorry I should have explained that.

Ryan Shuflin

Postby Ryan Shuflin » 28 Mar 2014, 18:33

Marcus Karlsson wrote:
steven harris wrote:
Marcus Karlsson wrote:Image
Arms of the Chief of the Defence Forces, which used the Shield with the Arms of the Defence Forces (the three Swords symbolising the Army, Navy and Air Froce in the Norwegian Colours of Gules and Or). To this is added a Crest based on the Lion in the Norwegian State Arms.

The blue and gold helm is an interesting touch - nationalistic, I assume.

No I don't think its nationalistic as the colours Blue and Gold are associated with Sweden (and also the Ukraine, Brasil amongst others).

More importantly, Norway's flag does not have gold on it, but instead has white.

Marcus Karlsson

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 29 Mar 2014, 11:31

Ryan Shuflin wrote:
More importantly, Norway's flag does not have gold on it, but instead has white.

Yes and the Arms are Gold and Red. I think its just a redering of Steel.

Now returning to the pictures in the Link.

Now the Navy.

The upper rather jumpy line presents from dexter to sinister - The Coast Guard, Naval Staff, The Navy, The Coastal Squadron, General Inspector of the Navy, emblem of the Navy, Naval Jeger Command (Special Operations), Naval Schools.

Second row dexter to sinister Chief of the Coast Guard, Nor TG (I'am not sure but perhaps Norwegian Task Group), Frigate Service, Mine Service, Motor Torpedo Boat (Fast Missile Craft) Service, Submarine Service, Naval Jeger Service, Naval Logistics, Sea Warfare School and Naval Commanders' School.

Third row dexter to sinister Coast Guard Vessels Ålesund, Bergen, andenes and Harstad; Tactical Center of the Frigate Service, Tactical Centre of the Mine Service, 1st MCM Division, Tactical Centre of the MTB Service, Tactical Centre of the Submarine Service, Tactical Centre of the Naval Jeger Service, Naval Combat Service Support, KNM Tordenskjold - The Arms of the namesake the Danish-Norwegian Sea Hero Peter Wessel (enobled Tordenskjold) and KNM Harald Haarfagre. The Last two are naval land bases, the Norwegian Navy has inherited the tradition from the Royal Navy in commissioning Land Bases as Ships.

Fourth Row dexter to sinister Coast Guard Vessels Farm, Nornen and Nordkapp, Coast Guard Base Sortland, Frigate KNM Fridtjof Nansen (the Eagle is from the Arms of Nansen), Frigate KNM Roald Amundsen (the Polar Bear symbolises the Polar Explorations of the namesake. A Trident has been added symbolising the Navy), MCM Vessel KNM Alta, MCM Vessel KNM Hinnøy, Fast Missile Craft KNM Skjold, FMC KNM Glimt, Submarine KNM Ula, Submarine KNM Uredd, Tactical Boat Squadron, Coastal Jeger Command, Support Ship KNM Tyr (canting Tyr = Bull), Support Ship KNM Olav Tryggvason - this was a Viking King who owned the Ship Ormen Långe (Long Snake hence the Snake in the Arms).

Fifth row dexter to sinister Coast Guard Vessels Njord (a sea God in norse mythology), Heimdal (the Guard of the Gods, at the event of the ending of the World the Rangarök he sounded his horn alerting the god of the comming of the Giants), Svalbard (Polar Bears are frequently found on this group of northern Islands) and Senja; Frigate KNM Helge Ingstad (alludes to Ingstad's findings in conjuntion to the Viking voyages to America), Frigate KNM Otto Sverdrup (based on the Arms of the namesake a naval officer), MCM Vessel KNM Otra, MCM Vessel KNM Karmøy, FMC KNM Gnist, FMC KNM Skudd, Submarine KNM Uthaug, Submarine KNM Utsira, Mine Clearence Diver Command, Naval Medical Command, NCAGS not sure what this is.

Sixth row dexter to sinister Coast Guard Vessels Tor (shows the Hammer of Tor/Thor), Barentshav and Magnus Lagabøte (the namesake was a king and the Crown and Scepter are taken from his Seal); Frigate KNM Thor Heyerdahl (the Mask symbolises one of Heyerdahl's moste famous explorations the voyage of the Kontiki in the Pacific), MCM Vessel KNM Rauma, MCM Vessel KNM Måløy, FMC KNM Steil, FMC KNM Storm, Submarine KNM Utstein, Submarine KNM Utvaer, Naval Base Haakonsvern, Naval Base Ramsund, Royal Norweigan Navy Music Services, Naval Music Band, Naval Museum.

Seventh row dexter to sinister Support Ship KNM Valkyrien, 1st Patrol Boat Section, Training Vessels KNM Kvarven and KNM Nordnes.

Marcus Karlsson

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 29 Mar 2014, 12:26

Air Force

First row dexter to sinister Air Medical Institute, Air Operations Inspectorate (The Motto translates as "Unity gives Strength"), Air Force (The Motto translates as "King, People and Country"), Inspector General of the Air Force (This is one of the very rare instances where a Astral Crown can be seen in Scandinavian Heraldry), Emblem of the Air Force, Training Inspectorate (The Motto translates as "Cooperation gives Strength") and Air Safety Inspectorate.

Second Row: Andøya Air Station (The Motto translates as "Defence in Cooperation"), Bardufoss Air Station (The Motto translates as "For Peace and Liberty"), Bodø Air Station (The Motto translates as "Always ready for Battle"), Gardermoen Air Station (The Motto translates as "In Union Promise"), Rygge Air Station (The Motto translates as "On Guard for Freedom") and Ørland Air Station (The Motto translates as "Unity gives Victory").

Third Row 330 Squadron (The Motto translates as "Safeguard the Sea"), 331 Squadron (The Motto translates as "For Norway"), 332 Squadron (The Motto translates as "Unity in Battle"), 333 Squadron (The Motto translates as "For King and Country"), 334 Squadron (The Motto translates as "For the Country"), 335 Squadron (The Motto translates as "With United Strength"), 337 Squadron (The Motto Translates as "Fortune favors the Brave"), 338 Squadron (The Motto translates as "As our ancestors has fought"). Nos 330, 331, 332 and 333 Squadrons was formed in the British Royal Air Force during World War Two. They where then granted Badges following the RAF Pattern, which was then slightly altered to a Norwegian Pattern but the RAF ancestry can still be seen.

Fourth row dexter to sinister 339 Squadron (The Motto translates as "Strength in Battle"), 717 Squadron (The Motto translates as "Knowledge gives enlightment"), 720 Squadron (The Motto translates as "The Will to make a effort"), Ørland Anti Aircraft Artillery Battalion (can't translate the motto), Bodø Anti Aircraft Artillery Battalion (the Text is to small to make out the motto), Magerø Station (Radar Unit, the Motto is Custodea Atque Securitas), Sørreisa Station (Radar Unit, the Motto translates as "Knowledge gives Strength"), and the Air Force Band.

Fifth row dexter to sinister Defence Reaction Force - Air Force (The Motto translates as "Effectiveness and Boldness"), Air Warfare School (The Motto translate as "For the Future of the Air Force"), Air Force Training Centre (The Motto translate as "Knowledge, Responsiblity and Security"), Air School (The Motto translates as "Future in Freedom"), Air Tactical School (The Motto translates as "Knowledge, Strength and Will"), Control and Warning School (Trains Radar Operators, the Motto translates as "Kowledge gives Defence"), Base Defence Tactical School (The Motto translates as "Wisdom makes a Guard") and Anti Aircraft Tactical School (The Motto translates as "Do right fear naught").

Marcus Karlsson

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 12 Apr 2014, 11:30

Some additions.

Air Home Guard. The connection to the Air Force is shown by the use of the Falcon from the Air Force Badge.

Land Home Guard. Battle Axes and a Budstikke (fiery cross are given as a translation in my Dictionary). The Budstikke was sent in time of danger to call out the ablebodied men to defend the Country.

Sea Home Guard, the ubiquitous Naval symbol the Anchor is used.

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 12 Apr 2014, 12:46

My first thought was that budstikke meant beacon,

and there are numerous examples of fire-beacons in heraldry, but they are nothing like a budstikke.

On reflection I would surmise that a budstikke is best translated as a message stick or message baton. In Swedish, and I guess in Norwegian too, bud can mean order, message or messenger. Just a guess but stikke might be translated as stick or baton. Marcus' description of its use suggests that a bud (messenger) was dispatched from place to place to call the countryside to arms. His budstikke was proof that his message was genuine, and it could be passed to someone else when the first man was too tired to continue, just like passing the baton in a relay race.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Return to “Military Heraldry”