Arms of an Episcopal Priest

Larry Snyder

Arms of an Episcopal Priest

Postby Larry Snyder » 30 Sep 2014, 19:53

I am blazoning the arms for a priest of the Episcopal Church of the US. How do I properly blazon the clerical hat for a priest as approved by the Earl Marshall? I know that the cord and tassels are sable and argent.

Chas Charles-Dunne

Re: Arms of an Episcopal Priest

Postby Chas Charles-Dunne » 30 Sep 2014, 20:49

A gallero of X tassels Tincture corded of Tincture. I think would work.
Regards
Chas
IAAH Fellow

Daniel Gill

Postby Daniel Gill » 30 Sep 2014, 23:45

An ecclesiastical hat of two tassels sable pendant on either side from a cord sable and argent.

I believe the Earl Marshal used "ecclesiastical hat" over galero (note only 1 "l")... I guess the latter is too Roman. Do you even need to blazon the hat? I typically see Catholic clerical arms as being "ensigned with the galero of a priest/bishop/etc." Couldn't you, in this case, just say "ensigned with the galero of an Episcopal priest" or "of a priest of the Church of England"? A heraldic artist should be smart enough to know where to look if this is not something he or she immediately recognizes.
(Fr.) Daniel C. Gill

Arthur Radburn

Postby Arthur Radburn » 01 Oct 2014, 10:04

I would say "an ecclesiastical hat of the Church of England as befits his degree". That would keep the blazon flexible, which would be useful if he's later elevated to a canon or an archdeacon etc.
Regards
Arthur Radburn

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 01 Oct 2014, 11:22

Arthur Radburn wrote:I would say "an ecclesiastical hat of the Church of England as befits his degree". That would keep the blazon flexible, which would be useful if he's later elevated to a canon or an archdeacon etc.

I agree, except that the reverend gentleman is not CofE but Episcopal Church of the US.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Arthur Radburn

Postby Arthur Radburn » 01 Oct 2014, 18:57

Chris Green wrote:
Arthur Radburn wrote:I would say "an ecclesiastical hat of the Church of England as befits his degree". That would keep the blazon flexible, which would be useful if he's later elevated to a canon or an archdeacon etc.

I agree, except that the reverend gentleman is not CofE but Episcopal Church of the US.
True -- he isn't C of E, but the hat comes from the C of E. I suppose one could omit the name of the Church from the blazon, and let the words "his degree" cover both the denomination and his position within it.
Regards
Arthur Radburn

JMcMillan

Postby JMcMillan » 02 Oct 2014, 03:59

Not all Anglican churches use the C of E hats with the black-and-white intertwined cords. The hats of priests in the Scottish Episcopal Church, as granted by Lyon, have black cords and are, to my eye, indistinguishable from the galeri of Catholic priests. The same appears to be true of CHI grants to priests of the Church of Ireland. Priests of the Episcopal Church in the USA would seem to be free to use either pattern.
Joseph McMillan
Alexandra, Virginia, USA

GSelvester

Postby GSelvester » 02 Oct 2014, 04:30

Scotland and Ireland have their own heraldic authorities to regulate such matters. Member churches of the Anglican Communion in places that do not, in practice, follow the English model. In 1982 The General Convention of the Episcopal Church passed a resolution establishing a Committee on Heraldry for Bishops and the Presiding Bishop. At its first meeting (which I think was its only meeting) among the many recommendations forwarded to the PB was that "…the permissive designs for ecclesiastical hats laid down by the Earl Marshal of England in 1976 for Anglican clergy should be adopted for clergy below the rank of bishop".

Larry Snyder

Postby Larry Snyder » 03 Oct 2014, 22:35

Thanks to all for your advice. My question is answered.

Return to “Ecclesiastical Heraldry”