arms of Canberra (1928 grant):

flag proposed by Ivo Ostyn (who designed the 1993 flag):
Steven A. Harris, Fellow
IAAH member since February 2008
https://goo.gl/btEhVg

Chas Charles-Dunne

Re: Arms of Canberra & Flag of ACT

Postby Chas Charles-Dunne » 20 Aug 2012, 16:12

I believe, Ivo Ostyn was once a member here. Or at least had his arms designed through the design service. I cannot remember which.
Regards
Chas
IAAH Fellow

steven harris

Postby steven harris » 20 Aug 2012, 16:15

I like simplicity of the proposed "new" flag.

(I'd also let the author of the article know that the plural of platypus is actually platypodes, not platypuses – same goes for octopus – but that's for a different forum ;) )

Chas Charles-Dunne wrote:I believe, Ivo Ostyn was once a member here. Or at least had his arms designed through the design service. I cannot remember which.

He is indeed listed as a Member:
http://amateurheralds.org/gallery/detai ... ode=search
Steven A. Harris, Fellow
IAAH member since February 2008
https://goo.gl/btEhVg

GJKS

Postby GJKS » 28 Aug 2012, 10:48

steven harris wrote:Article: "Cultivating a flower for our flag"
flag proposed by Ivo Ostyn (who designed the 1993 flag):

It's a pity that the other flag proposed by Ivo was not included in the opening post of this thread. Ivo also proposed a simplified Royal Bluebell as the floral motif - a design that would more easily be hand-drawn by the younger members of society in their school lessons on 'Social Sciences'.

This subject initially was publicly brought to light by an article in the Canberra Times of Friday 17 August 2012, a copy of which is scanned herewith.
This original article was also reported on-line in the 'blog' of the author and contained a couple of errors that have since been rectified and with the plausable excuse by the reporter blaming his editor for the actual printed inaccuracies. Here is a letter that was sent (17 Aug) to the Editor of the Canberra Times ...
Regards,
Geoff

Ryan Shuflin

Postby Ryan Shuflin » 28 Aug 2012, 14:51

well put

Chas Charles-Dunne

Postby Chas Charles-Dunne » 28 Aug 2012, 15:35

I find it so frustrating when an authority (that should know better, but doesn't), does something like this. If they have such little regard for their own image, how can we trust them with the important things - health, welfare, education, defence ...
Regards
Chas
IAAH Fellow

GJKS

Postby GJKS » 29 Aug 2012, 01:37

Chas Charles-Dunne wrote:I find it so frustrating when an authority (that should know better, but doesn't), does something like this. If they have such little regard for their own image, how can we trust them with the important things - health, welfare, education, defence ...

I am reliably informed (by a later Chief Minister of the ACT) who advised me that, "I recall in about 1993 that [the then Chief Minister] Rosemary Follett conferred with the then-MLAs about a flag for the ACT. I recall that the Chief Minister insisted that one design be put forward which simply contained a cut down version of the coat of arms; I thought this was too fussy and stylistically inappropriate to be the design for our flag, but was overruled. Not surprisingly, in the quasi-plebiscite that was subsequently conducted, people voted for the design they recognised, without being aware of its inappropriate application. "

So much for our ACT Legislative Assembly. This is getting off-topic but the shenanigans that have occurred in the ACT stem from the 'self government' that was foisted on the residents of the ACT back in 1988 even though an Australia-wide referendum was held ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_referendum,_1988_(Local_Government)) to basically ask (amongst several motions tabled) the question 'Should the ACT become a self governing Territory or remain as we are under the umbrella of the Federal Government’, which was our original status. The vote of the ACT (as well as the whole of Australian public) was well over 60% in favour of remaining with the status quo with the Australia-wide vote of 33.61% for and 66.39% also against the motion.

Oblivious to that result, the then Labor Federal Government foisted 'self government' on the ACT with damaging results to the environment and the inhabitants of the ACT. The population of the ACT is currently approximately 330,000 and all it really should have is a Town Council (similar to that in Sydney with a 2010 population of 4.6M) as well over 90% of the inhabitants reside within the urban sprawl that is generically called Canberra.
Regards,
Geoff

Return to “Australasian Heraldry”