Heraldry of the Spanish Cavalry.

Heraldry of the armies, navies and airforces of the world
Marcus Karlsson

Heraldry of the Spanish Cavalry.

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 06 Dec 2012, 18:45

The basic outline of Spanish Cavalry Heraldry is a shield crowned by a Royal Crown and placed on two crossed lances, with a Motto below the Shield, in some instances a Battle Cry is placed on a scroll above the Shield. To the Arms the various regimental decorations can also be added.

Cavalry/Reconnaissance Group "Reyes Catolicos" II of the Legion. The Design includes the symbols of the "Catholic Kings" St. Ferdinand and Sta. Isabella, which was used on the Standards of the various Cavalry units of the Spanish Foreign Legion.

The Arms of the Cavalry Academy in Valladolid is Azure the monogram AC Argent.

The Light Armoured Cavalry Regiment "Santiago" No 1. The Regiment was raised on 15 January 1703 and is today based at the San Isidro Barracks in Valladolid.
Argent a Santiago Cross Gules.
Motto: Pes meus Stettit in directa.

Spanish Cavalry Regiments consist of a number of Groups equaling a Batallion. They inherit the traditions of disbanded Cavalry Units and use their Arms.

Group I/1 (I Group of Cav.Reg. 1) "Husares de la Princesa" (Hussars of the Princess).
Azure a Cross of Malta Argent botonny Or charged in the middle with a Bezant Or charged with a monogram Sable, on the Arms of the Cross inscriptions Sable, the Cross is surmounting a wreath Vert.

Group II/1 "Lanceros de Extremadura" (Extremadura Lancers).
Azure a escallop Argent charged with a Cross of Santiago Gules.

Armoured Cavalry Regiment "Montesa" No 3. Raised on 10 February 1706 as the Cavalry Regiment "Galindo". Today it is based in the Spanish North African enclave Ceuta.
Argent a Cross flory Sable charged with a Greek Cross Gules.
Motto: In hoc signo vinces = In this sign conquer.
The Arms show the Cross of the Order of Montesa, which has given its name to the Regiment.

I have no information about the Groups of this Regiment.

Armoured Cavalry Regiment "Pavia" No 4. Raised in Milan on 1 May 1684 as the Scheldon Dragoons. Today based at Zaragoza.
Argent a Pillar Argent with top and base Or, between four ? Or resting on Clouds Azure and joined by a Saltire Azure.
Motto: Inmobilis tecum hostes debelamus.

Group I/4 "Cazadores de Maria Cristina" (Horse Rifles of [Queen] Maria Cristina).
Azure a double headed Eagle Sable crowned Or hand holding in dexter claw a sceptre and sword and in the sinster an orb all Or, the breast of the Eagle is charged with a Shield parted by a pale Gules charged with a fess Argent, dexter side Or a Crowned lion rampant Gules and sinister side Or a bend Gules charged with three alerions Argent, this enscutcheon surrounded by the chain of the Order of the Golden Fleece.
The Arms symbolise that Maria Cristina (1858-1929) was an Archduchess of Austria before marrying Alfonso XII and becoming Queen of Spain.

Group II/4 "Ligeros de León" (Light Cavalry of León).
Gules St Mary Or standing on a cloud Azure fimbriated and charged with a crescent Argent and two figures Or.
Motto: ?
Mary Immaculate has since 1892 been the Patron of the Regiment.
Last edited by Marcus Karlsson on 06 Dec 2014, 20:35, edited 3 times in total.

Marcus Karlsson

Re: Heraldry of the Spanish Cavalry.

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 06 Dec 2012, 18:55

Light Armoured Cavalry Regiment "Almansa" No 5. Raised in Flanders 12 January 1676 as the Hartman Dragoons. Today based at the San Isidro Barracks in Valladolid as a Cadre Unit of the mobilization Cavalry Brigade "Jarama" I.
Azure a Pillar Argent charged with a Enscutcheon Azure on which are three Fleur de Lys Or, and atop the Pillar a Lion sejant erect affronté Crowned and holding in it's dexter forepaw a scepter and in sinister an orb all Or? (I had not written down the tincture, so I'am not sure about this) the pillar is surrounded by a wreath dexter side oak and sinister laurel all Argent.
Motto: Leo cum lilis almansoe pompa triumphi = The Lion with the Lilly triumphs in Almansa.

Group I/5 "Cazadores de Alfonso XIII".
Azure the monogram of HM king Alfonso XIII Argent.

Group II/5 "Batavia".
Azure St Barbara standing beside a tower all Or.
The Saint was borne on the Gudion of the Batavia Dragoon Regiment. Which in 1718 war ranked number 5 among the Cavalry Regiments. I find it rather strange that a Cavalry Regiment chose the Patron Saint of Artillery as its symbol.

Light Cavalry Regiment "Lusitania" No 8.
Raised on 21st December 1709 as Terico de Dragones de Pezuela. Today based at the Base General Almirante Marines in Valencia as part of the Rapid Action Force.
Sable a skull with crossbones beneath it all Argent.
Motto: Lusitania tessera omni armatura fortior.

From Heralder on wikimedia Commons a Picture of the Lusitania Regimental Arms with Decorations, Motto and a Scroll bearing War Honours.

Light Armoured Cavalry Regiment "Numancia" No 9.
Raised on 1st April 1707 as the Osuna Dragoons. Today part of the Cavalry Brigade "Castillejos" II and based at the Military Base General Ricardos in Zaragoza.
Azure a Phoenix Argent rising form flames Gules all surrounded by a wreath Argent dexter side of oak and sinister of laurel.
Motto: Prius flammis combusta quam arma Numancia victa = The Arms of Numancia are Victorious before the flame is ignited.

Group I/9 "Cazadores de Tetuán".
Gules a hill Vert rising to the sinister side, on which stands a fortress Or, from the fortress a road Argent trails to the base of the hill which is surrounded by a wall with four towers Or standing on a base Argent charged with two fesses wavy Azure, and above on the dexter side a Plate charged with a Cross of Santiago Gules and surrmounting a lance erect Or with point Argent and with a pennant in the Spanish colours Gules-Or-Gules and two Sabres Argent.
In the Year 1944 the 9th Cav.Regt. inherited the traditions of the Cazadores de Tetuán and the Group took over that Regiment's Arms.

Santiago Cross.

Group II/9 "Dragones de Soria".
Azure between two pillars an annulet Argent.

Armoured Cavalry Regiment "Alcantara" No 10.
Raised on 19 February 1656 in Flanders as Terico de Caballeria de Nestien.
Argent a Alcantara Cross Vert.
Motto: Haec nubila tollunt obstantia sicut sol.

Alcantara Regimental Arms in the Heralder Version.

Montesa Cross.

Marcus Karlsson

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 18 Jan 2013, 22:13

Light Armoured Cavalry Regiment "España" No 11. Raised on 2 February 1659 as Trozo de Extremadura. Today based in Zaragoza as part of the Cavalry Brigade "Castillejos" II.

Azure a Sun Or surrounded by a Ring of Clouds and a wreath of laurel Argent.
Motto: Sic Obvia Frungit.

Group I/11 "Lanceros de Borbon".
Azure three Fleur de Lys Or surrounded by a Wreath of Laurel Argent.
In 1944 the Cav.Regt. No 11 was bestowed with the traditions of the Lanceros de Borbon raised on 15 june 1640 and disbanded in 1931. The Arms show a variant of the Arms of the Bourbons, of which the Spanish Royal Family is a Branch.

Group II/11 "Husares Españoles".
Azure between two Pillars Or on top of each a Royal Crown Or lined Gules and each entwined with a Scroll Argent the dexter one with the inscription Plus and the sinister Ultra both Sable, two annulets interlaced Argent.
Motto: Protos Kai Ectos.
The Husares Españoles was raised on 6 February 1795 and disbanded during the Army reforms of 1818.

Armoured Cavalry Regiment "Farnesio" No 12, raised on 7 May 1649 as the Hessen-Homburg Cavalry Regiment. Today a Mobilization Cadre of the Cavalry Brigade "Jarama" I and based at the San Isidro Barracks in Valladolid.

Argent a Burgundian Cross Gules, surrounded by a wreath of laurel Argent fimbriated Sable.
Motto: Et Dissipentur Inimicie Ejus Et Fugiant A Facie Ejus.

Group I/12 "Cazadores de Albuera".
Azure the Memorial Cross of the Battle of Albuera Gules fimbriated Or, the Cross consists of four Arms in Saltire with flames inbetween them in the middle a field Azure with the inscription F VII Sable and surrounded by a bordure Or bearing the word Albuera Sable.
The Cazadores de Albuera was raised on 10 June 1855 and disbanded in 1931.

The last Cavalry Regiment is the Light Cavalry Regiment "Villaviciosa" No 14. This Regiment was raised in Flanders on 7 February 1689 as the Steenhuise Dragoons. Today the Regiment is based at the General Cavalcanti Barracks in Pozuelo de Alarcón (Madrid Province) as part of the Mechanized Division "Brunete".

Azure a Lion Or holding to me unknown things in the Paws and sitting on a Drum Or with top and bottom Gules and surmounting two Lances Argent with pennons in the Spanish Colours, all surrounded by a Wreath Argent on the dexter side Oak and on the sinister Laurel.

Group I/14 "Cazadores de Taxdir".
Azure two Lances in saltire Or points Argent and with pennons in the Spanish Colours, on each shaft a strap Sable pierced by two Sabres Argent in saltire, on the dexter side the number 2 and on the sinister side the number 9 both Sable fimbriated Argent.
The former Cazadores de Taxdir was Cav.Regt. No 29.

Group II/14 "Frisia".
Azure within a ring of eight Bezants a large Bezant.
This Shield was used on regimental Standards from 1728.

Marcus Karlsson

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 22 Feb 2014, 18:24

The Spanish Army has one active Cavalry Brigade - Cavalry Brigade "Castillejos" II.

The Brigade Arms shows the Arms of the Viscontis Dukes of Milan. This alludes to the Brigade as inheritor to the old Trozo de Caballeria de Milán.

Arms of the disbanded Cavalry Brigade "Jarama" I. The Lances of the Spanish Cavlary combinded with the Cross of Santiago.

Reconnaissance Cavalry Group "Santiago" VII. This Unit are the Reconnaissance Unit (independent) of the Light Aerotransportable Infantry Brigade "Galicia" VII. The Cross of Santiago combinded with the Eagle from the Arms of the Brigade.

All Pictures from Heralder on Wikimedia Commons.

Marcus Karlsson

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 06 Dec 2014, 20:42

Marcus Karlsson wrote: (...)

Armoured Cavalry Regiment "Pavia" No 4. Raised in Milan on 1 May 1684 as the Scheldon Dragoons. Today based at Zaragoza.
Argent a Pillar Argent with top and base Or, between four ? Or resting on Clouds Azure and joined by a Saltire Azure.
Motto: Inmobilis tecum hostes debelamus.

Group I/4 "Cazadores de Maria Cristina" (Horse Rifles of [Queen] Maria Cristina).
Azure a double headed Eagle Sable crowned Or hand holding in dexter claw a sceptre and sword and in the sinster an orb all Or, the breast of the Eagle is charged with a Shield parted by a pale Gules charged with a fess Argent, dexter side Or a Crowned lion rampant Gules and sinister side Or a bend Gules charged with three alerions Argent, this enscutcheon surrounded by the chain of the Order of the Golden Fleece.
The Arms symbolise that Maria Cristina (1858-1929) was an Archduchess of Austria before marrying Alfonso XII and becoming Queen of Spain.

Group II/4 "Ligeros de León" (Light Cavalry of León).
Gules St Mary Or standing on a cloud Azure fimbriated and charged with a crescent Argent and two figures Or.
Motto: ?
Mary Immaculate has since 1892 been the Patron of the Regiment.

It appears that the II/4 now is "Húsares de la Princesa" with the following Arms:

Marcus Karlsson

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 06 Dec 2014, 20:49

Marcus Karlsson wrote: (...)

Light Cavalry Regiment "Lusitania" No 8.
Raised on 21st December 1709 as Terico de Dragones de Pezuela. Today based at the Base General Almirante Marines in Valencia as part of the Rapid Action Force.
Sable a skull with crossbones beneath it all Argent.
Motto: Lusitania tessera omni armatura fortior.

(...)

CoA of the Light Cavalry Group I/8 "Sagunto" of this Regiment. Picture by Heralder.

Marcus Karlsson

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 06 Dec 2014, 20:51

Cavalry Forces Inspector's Office.

Return to “Military Heraldry”