Polish Heraldry Reference Library

Heraldry of Poland
Frederick Siler

Polish Heraldry Reference Library

Postby Frederick Siler » 20 Sep 2014, 23:42

I am currently developing a library of Heraldry reference matters that apply to Poland as well as Belarus, Lithuania, and Ukraine as they share the Polish heraldic traditions. IAAH members can access it at:
http://freepages.history.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~tqpeiffer/Documents/EASTERN%20EUROPE%20HERALDRY/Eastern%20Europe%20Heraldry%20Reference%20Library.htm
All IAAH members should feel free to contribute any links that they believe appropriate for this library. My email address is:
[url]silrem@comcast.net[/url]
Fred

Lucas Garczewski

Re: Polish Heraldry Reference Library

Postby Lucas Garczewski » 28 Mar 2015, 13:54

Very helpful, Frederick, thanks for posting.

Though I do see that you're linking to a bucketshop heraldry website on cafepress.com -- it would probably be bests if you phased these out as the collection grows, and as you get suitable replacements.

Frederick Siler

Postby Frederick Siler » 29 Mar 2015, 15:25

Thanks for your recent comment regarding the Café Press web-site. The following is from the introduction of the book I am writing about German Heraldry.
Beware of online Purveyors of Coats-of-Arms
Unfortunately when it comes to incorporating a family coat-of-arms into your work the possibilities are numerous but the supply of authentic images and corresponding information is woefully limited. Because of this fact most amateur family historians settle for a coat-of-arms that has no evident relationship to their ancestors. For example, Wagner is the 8th most common surname in Germany. It is an extremely old name having deep heraldic roots back to the 14th century. Yet there are only two or three examples found at any website operated by purveyors of products such as coffee cups, mouse pads, and ball caps. Here you can purchase an image of a Wagner coat-of-arms. Most of these images are created on a single template design with either poorly reproduced crests or non at all. Many of the sites feature a Wagner arms and crest from Great Britain rather than Germany. The most copious source of German coats-of-arms attributes only one description to the Wagner name. As such what are the chances that this coat-of-arms has any relevance to anyone with Wagner ancestors from Germany? On the other hand, a highly regarded resource of coats-of-arms, primarily from continental Europe has thirty-four entries for Wagner, and a principal source of German armorial bearings has catalogued seventy-nine narratives as well as illustrations for this surname. This great disparity in offerings is due to the fact that these entrepreneurs are more interested in selling a product and only slightly interested in the authenticity of the armorial bearings. This is also the case with the origins of the surname that frequently accompanies the merchandise. Usually they will find a coat-of-arms associated with a particular country or cultural group. For example three different Wagner armorial bearings may be marketed as English, German, or Jewish. As previously stated another reason for so few examples is that they are found in resources written in a language other than English. The aforementioned continental European resource having thirty-four entries is written in French and the German armorial with seventy-nine entries is written in German. Although there are some duplications one may have access to over one hundred coats-of-arms that apply to the surname of Wagner. That is if you can read and understand the specialized terminology associated with heraldry in German and French With so many surnames for which coat-of-arms need to be researched and rendered it is no wonder that most heraldic resources offered to the family historian take an approach of, “one and done”.
I appreciate any other comments regarding my Heraldry Library.
Fred Siler

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 29 Mar 2015, 15:45

A well-researched and informative riposte to the "to every family a coat of arms" entrepreneurs. Well done.

A minuscule point: "... poorly reproduced crests or non at all." should read:"... poorly reproduced crests or none at all."
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Frederick Siler

Postby Frederick Siler » 29 Mar 2015, 19:18

Thanks Chris. I'll make the change. Also I appreciate your other comments regarding my online library.
Fred

Return to “Polish Heraldry”