Prince Nicolas of Sweden, Duke of Ångermanland

Nordic heraldry (Denmark, Faroe Islands, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden)
Chris Green

Prince Nicolas of Sweden, Duke of Ångermanland

Postby Chris Green » 17 Jun 2015, 16:58

The newly born son of Princess Madeleine and Mr Christopher O'Neill has been named Prince Nicolas Paul Gustaf and is to be Duke of Ångermanland. There are no official images of the Duke's CoA as yet, but, based on precedent, he will bear the royal arms with those of Ångermanland in Q3. If tradition is followed, the design will be revealed on the day of his christening.

The arms of Ångermanland:
not unlike those of Kingston upon Thames:
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

JMcMillan

Re: Prince Nicolas of Sweden, Duke of Ångermanland

Postby JMcMillan » 18 Jun 2015, 15:02

Oh, my--just imagine the chaos if the Duke of Ångermanland were to meet the Mayor of Kingston on the field of battle! The humanity!

(And while I'm in flippant mode, did it ever occur to anyone to blazon the arms of Kingston as "Azure a trio of salmon naiant, etc."?)
Joseph McMillan
Alexandra, Virginia, USA

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 18 Jun 2015, 16:56

Oh, my--just imagine the chaos if the Duke of Ångermanland were to meet the Mayor of Kingston on the field of battle!

Ah, but the Duke would only have Ångermanland at Q3, whereas the Mayor of Kingston would impale the arms of the Royal Borough with his own.

Just to keep this thread bubbling until the formal announcement of Prince Nicolas' arms, how is this for confusion? Within Sweden there is almost a clash between the county of Ångermanland and the commune of Laholm in Halland county which, surprise surprise, has the same arms as Kingston!

Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Marcus Karlsson

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 21 Jun 2015, 11:26

Perhaps a return to the oldest Ångermanland Arms would relieve the confusion. This from 1560 showed ust one Salmon bend wise over a fishingnet in base. the Laholm Arms dates fron a seal known since the 14th Century so it is older than the Ångermanland Arms.

Michael F. McCartney

Postby Michael F. McCartney » 22 Jun 2015, 04:58

Leaving aside for the moment any battlefield booboos, how are the salmon blazoned? I vaguely recall reading somewhere ( is that a sufficient footnote for wiki?) that a salmon Proper is assumed to be Argent with fins and tail Gules - as depicted above?

Back to the battlefield...picture the Kings of France and England, the Earl of Eglington, and a few of the Scots who fought in France and were granted the right to quarter the lillies, and IIRC a German or two...
Last edited by Michael F. McCartney on 14 Oct 2015, 08:23, edited 1 time in total.
Michael F. McCartney
Fremont, California

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 12 Oct 2015, 15:14

When the Duke of Ångermanland's CoA was not unveiled in connection with his baptism yesterday I was somewhat surprised and this morning sent an enquiry to the Royal Court. This is the reply I received:

H.R.H. Prince Nicolas, Duke of Ångermanland, has indeed [figuratively speaking] received a heraldic coat-of-arms in connection with the decision announced on 17th June 2015 regarding his name and title as duke of Ångermanland. His coat-of-arms is now being designed. In connection with the christening ceremonies there is neither a custom nor a tradition to mention the coat-of-arms.
His coat-of-arms are being prepared (= designed) presently at the State Archive and its Heraldic section. Our painter of the Royal Orders of Knighthood has also already began working on the Seraphim shield of His Royal Highness. A picture of the new coat-of-arms will hopefully be presented within a few weeks after H.M. The King has approved it.
Sincerely yours

Tom Bergroth
Senior Curator
Chapter of the Royal Orders of Knighthood
The Royal Palace
SE-111 30 Stockholm
Sweden

Same day reply from the Palace. Very impressive!
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Marcus Karlsson

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 12 Oct 2015, 21:15

Impressive indeed. And its true the Arms are not traditionaly presented at the Baptism. The Arms of Princesses Estelle and Leonor was presented later for instance. But the old tradition that the Order of the Seraphim is presented to the newly Baptised Princess or Prince has been revived. I have seen a picture of Prince Nicolas' Coat of Arms as guessed it is the Royal Swedish Arms with the Ångermanland Arms in the 3rd Quarter. It is ensigned by the Ducal Crown. His monogram designed by Vladimir A. Sagerlund shows the letter N beneath a Ducal Crown.

Torsten Laneryd

Postby Torsten Laneryd » 17 Oct 2015, 19:21

Prince Nicolas is the first duke ever of Ångermanland.

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 17 Oct 2015, 20:22

The image of the CoA has been retrospectively inserted into a page on the Court website about the baptism. It is hardly surprising therefore that one might mistakenly believe the grant of arms to be linked to the baptism, though the Palace assures me that it isn't!

The arms are exactly as epected - Ångermanland in Q3.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Ryan Shuflin

Postby Ryan Shuflin » 20 Oct 2015, 12:15

So what is exactly the rules for determining who is a prince and is made a duke in Sweden? I realize it was once limited to male dynasts, but now extended to female and their progeny.

Return to “Nordic heraldry”