Arms of Mortimer (Earls of March): A Wiki conundrum

The discussion board for all things concerning heraldry which falls under the jurisdiction of The College of Arms
Michael F. McCartney

Re: Arms of Mortimer (Earls of March): A Wiki conundrum

Postby Michael F. McCartney » 03 Aug 2015, 21:31

;)

So all base esquires are gyrons, but not all gyrons are base esquires? Oy...

"...as is more clearly shewn in the margin" is looking better and better! ;)
Michael F. McCartney
Fremont, California

Chas Charles-Dunne

Postby Chas Charles-Dunne » 06 Aug 2015, 11:35

The difference between a gyron and an esquire is that the gyron always takes the same shape, regardless of where it is placed on the shield, whereas the esquire is handed. The one on the dexter being the reverse of the one on the sinister, but without the need to blazon it as such.
Regards
Chas
IAAH Fellow

Mike_Oettle

Postby Mike_Oettle » 06 Aug 2015, 21:15

This has been a most interesting discussion, gentlemen. However the part of it that caught my attention in particular was the mention of the bars/barry of the Grey shield.
Since I live in a city where the most prominent boys’ school was endowed by Sir George Grey and bears his name, and South Africa has another school which he also endowed, both of which display versions of his arms, I would like to learn more about the various branches of the Grey family so that I can put this information across to the communities of the two schools.
Martin, might it be possible for you to put together an armorial of Grey coats of arms (the silver and blue as well as the family that bears an entirely different device incorporating — if memory serves — a lion).
I have an edition of Arma, the journal of the Heraldry Society of Southern Africa, that discusses Sir George’s arms at length. It appears that when he was Governor of the Cape Colony, he believed himself entitled to the arms of an English branch of the family, and so displayed the silver and blue with three torteaux. He instructed that these arms be used by the Grey Institute in Port Elizabeth (to which Grey High School and Grey Junior are successors). He also had a large masonry emblazonment made (about four feet high) that was delivered by sea to Port Elizabeth and is today displayed in a courtyard at Grey High.
Grey College, in Bloemfontein, has differenced the arms by making the roundels orange (tenné), symbolising the Oranje Vrij Staat republic in which the school was founded (named for the Orange River, which was in turn named for the Dutch House of Orange).
Auckland Grammar School in New Zealand, also endowed by Sir George, is the only one that displays the arms he was actually entitled to, incorporating the black roundels of the Irish branch of the family.
Regards,
Mike
The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life.
[Proverbs 14:27]

Return to “College of Arms”