Personal Arms for a friend

This is where the V.P. Heraldic Design will post finished projects.
rkasparek

Personal Arms for a friend

Postby rkasparek » 02 Dec 2015, 22:24

Needing assistance on the attached arms... first, is it properly executed? second I need assistance in blazoning it properly so they can be assumed.
(In case the graphic doesn't show well, the lion on the dexter side is collared)
Thanks in advance! :D
Kirby-4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rick Kasparek
IAAH Vice President: Communications

Chris Green

Re: Personal Arms for a friend

Postby Chris Green » 03 Dec 2015, 07:33

Chas Charles-Dunne is responsible for IAAH Design Assistance Requests and will be happy to guide you through the process.

If you don't mind a personal view:

1) I would imagine that your friend is religious, probably a priest, in which case a helm would be inappropriate.

2) The use of the Cross Potent between four Crosslets Or is particularly associated with the Kings of Jerusalem and therefore you should use one of the other myriad forms of cross.

3) The lion rampant and demi-stag salient are pretty much lost in comparison with the chevron. The lion may be collared, but most artistic renderings of these arms would be hard put to depict the collar so that anyone could see. You might achieve a better effect by a lions head and a stags head - couped or erased.

4) It is hard to see, but the crest appears to be a version of the Jerusalem Cross again, in which case my former comment applies. Moreover the crest needs to be somewhat larger.

5) Finally, are you absolutely convinced that your friend will appreciate the colour combination? Mauve (Purpure?) and yellow is not everyone's idea of a pleasing mix. Have you tried other combinations of tincture?
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

rkasparek

Postby rkasparek » 03 Dec 2015, 14:38

Chris: I understand what you're saying and it makes sense. My friend is indeed a baptist preacher and how you interpreted that from the Arms is amazing! He definitely wants the Jerusalem Cross. He is designing these arms with his family, and they all have input - which obviously makes the process a bit more involved. His hope is that these will also be used by his children. I may be able to offer an idea of the lion's head collared and the stag's head, and then possibly use a demi-lion rampant, collared in the crest.

This is a new venture for him, and probably my attempts at explaining the complexities of 'the rules of arms' and 'common usage' are probably insufficient. I am obviously an amateur which is why I come here for advice ;)
Rick Kasparek

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 03 Dec 2015, 15:26

If your friend wants to use the Jerusalem cross, I would strongly suggest that it not be in or (gold). The particular connection of this unusual charge to the Kings of Jerusalem is so strong that its use by anyone else really should be avoided. A Gules (red) Jerusalem cross should be avoided too as that has been appropriated by the Order of the Holy Sepulchre.

You might finesse the idea of using the Jerusalem cross by placing it on the necks or foreheads, or on a chain around the necks, of the lion and stag (if you follow the idea of substituting heads for whole/half beasts), but then you would need to find a third charge for the base of the shield.

The demi-lion rampant crest would be good. It isn't unusual however. You might have the lion holding something.

Keep thinking and come back to Chas about refining the design with a DAR.

http://fs8.formsite.com/secretary/design-request/index.html
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

rkasparek

Postby rkasparek » 03 Dec 2015, 15:41

Will do... what about the cross in Argent? Does that have any other connotations?
My friend is asking about the cost of a DAR?
Last edited by rkasparek on 03 Dec 2015, 16:16, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Kasparek

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 03 Dec 2015, 15:58

rkasparek wrote:Will do... what about the cross in Argent? Does that have any other connotations?

Not that I can find ... yet.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

rkasparek

Postby rkasparek » 03 Dec 2015, 16:17

My friend is asking about the cost of a DAR
Rick Kasparek

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 03 Dec 2015, 16:44

rkasparek wrote:My friend is asking about the cost of a DAR

There is no charge.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Edward Hillenbrand

Postby Edward Hillenbrand » 23 Dec 2015, 18:18

I have a question on the tinctures: are they pink and gold (Rose and Or) or red and gold (Guiles and Or)? Also, many clergy do not use a helm as that indicates battle, but since he is not a Catholic priest I suspect that a galero would be inappropriate. I am not sure if the color were changed to something else if that would matter.
Ed Hillenbrand

"Tempus Fugit, Memento Mori"

Armorial Register - International Register of Arm

rkasparek

Postby rkasparek » 11 Mar 2016, 20:31

Edward, my apology. I just now saw your response - he has put in a DAR some time ago, but has not yet heard back (from what he says).
Rick Kasparek

Return to “Design Assistance Requests”