Grujić's Rendition of My Achievement

The depictions of coats of arms
O. Wrigley-P.-McKerr

Grujić's Rendition of My Achievement

Postby O. Wrigley-P.-McKerr » 06 Oct 2012, 00:21

I'm very pleased with his work. Click here for his website.

Arms: Sable on a bend Murrey fimbriated Or between two elephant tusks proper butt-capped Or both bendwise the dexter tusk butt to chief and the sinister tusk butt to base three bear heads erased Argent.

Crest: On a wreath Argent and Sable an elephant statant affronty wearing a mitre and holding by its trunk three peacock train feathers bendwise sinister proper.

Motto: Semper excelsius.

Designer: Mr. Michael Conrad Swanson.

Artist: Prof. Ljubodrag Grujić.

steven harris

Re: Grujić's Rendition of My Achievement

Postby steven harris » 06 Oct 2012, 02:15

I like it!

(should the mitre in your crest be blazoned as 'Or'?)
Steven A. Harris, Fellow
IAAH member since February 2008
https://goo.gl/btEhVg

O. Wrigley-P.-McKerr

Postby O. Wrigley-P.-McKerr » 06 Oct 2012, 03:47

steven harris wrote:I like it!

Thank you.

If I remember correctly (and I probably don't), in British heraldry mitres are assumed to be gold and so it doesn't need to be blazoned.

Ton de Witte

Postby Ton de Witte » 06 Oct 2012, 18:00

nice picture
Ton de Witte
IAAH secretary

Ryan Shuflin

Postby Ryan Shuflin » 06 Oct 2012, 20:08

very interesting and very well done

GJKS

Postby GJKS » 08 Oct 2012, 01:04

O. Wrigley-P.-McKerr wrote:

If I remember correctly (and I probably don't), in British heraldry mitres are assumed to be gold and so it doesn't need to be blazoned.

That's an interesting remark. Any idea where your assumption might have originated?

From what I can see of that blazon, the adjective 'proper' controls the colouring of any charges preceeding it back to the previous tincture, or the beginning of the blazon, whichever is first.
Crest: On a wreath Argent and Sable an elephant statant affronty wearing a mitre and holding by its trunk three peacock train feathers bendwise sinister proper.

So, with that in mind, the Elephant, Mitre and Feathers are all proper.
However, I might query the wording of 'bendwise sinister' rather than 'bend sinisterwise'.
Regards,
Geoff

steven harris

Postby steven harris » 08 Oct 2012, 02:17

Having been responsible for holding a bishop's mitre during a mass - I can tell you that they are not gold.
Steven A. Harris, Fellow
IAAH member since February 2008
https://goo.gl/btEhVg

O. Wrigley-P.-McKerr

Postby O. Wrigley-P.-McKerr » 08 Oct 2012, 20:26

GJKS wrote:
O. Wrigley-P.-McKerr wrote:

That's an interesting remark. Any idea where your assumption might have originated?

From what I can see of that blazon, the adjective 'proper' controls the colouring of any charges preceeding it back to the previous tincture, or the beginning of the blazon, whichever is first.

So, with that in mind, the Elephant, Mitre and Feathers are all proper.
However, I might query the wording of 'bendwise sinister' rather than 'bend sinisterwise'.

In a roundabout way, that agrees with what I said. If a proper mitre is gold, that is.

steven harris wrote:Having been responsible for holding a bishop's mitre during a mass - I can tell you that they are not gold.

Certainly not all mitres are golden in colour, but some of them definitely are.

Ryan Shuflin

Postby Ryan Shuflin » 08 Oct 2012, 21:31

It is true I have seen gold mitres, but I think of them as usually white with gold parts.

Ljubodrag Grujic

Postby Ljubodrag Grujic » 09 Oct 2012, 23:20

Thank you for your kind words. The mitre part of the crest is the biggest issue as it is seemingly a religious question. If it were so, then perhaps I could have drawn it as an Orthodox mitre as I find that one to be "proper". That is simply not so, as this question is not a religious one but a heraldic one. When it comes to English-speaking world, Fox-Davies is a bit of an authority and he claims:

There are several forms of mitre which, when looked upon as an ecclesiastical ornament, can be said to exist; but from the heraldic point of view only one mitre is recognised, and that is of gold, the labels being of the same colour. The jewelled variety is incorrect in armorial representations, though the science of armory does not appear to have enforced any particular shape of mitre.

I hope this clarifies my decision how to draw this mitre. Of course that a nice mitra preciosa would have been more opulent.
Ljubodrag Grujić - Љубодраг Грујић

IAAH Fellow

Return to “Heraldic Art”