DARs completed in 2016

This is where the V.P. Heraldic Design will post finished projects.
Terry Baldwin

DARs completed in 2016

Postby Terry Baldwin » 08 Sep 2016, 22:13

CHAMBERS.jpg

Kaylen Chambers a resident of Prestonburg, Kentucky, United States of America.

Blazon: Bleu celeste a Pegasus contourne forcene Argent crined and unguled Or.

Crest: None

Mantling: None

Motto: None

Herald: Geoff Kingman-Sugars

Artist: Lee Lumbley

Date: Arms Assumed 29 February 2016.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,

Terry Baldwin
IAAH Vice President: Heraldic Design

Terry Baldwin

Re: DARs completed in 2016

Postby Terry Baldwin » 08 Sep 2016, 22:16

This topic will be held open until the conclusion of the year. We are now current with announcements and have 5 currently in design process.
Regards,

Terry Baldwin

Ryan Shuflin

Postby Ryan Shuflin » 13 Sep 2016, 15:53

I think this coat of arms runs the danger of being confused for the coat of arms of the Inner Temple.

I know the arms are technically different, but barely. If you count contourne as a lineal difference, that is the only one.

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 13 Sep 2016, 16:28

There are many historical arms that are more similar than the two illustrated here.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Terry Baldwin

Postby Terry Baldwin » 14 Sep 2016, 18:25

The similar arms issue noted, regarding the Inner Temple image, if that blazon is Azure, a Pegasus rampant Argent. Then there would be at least two differences, change of tincture from Azure to Bleu-celeste, change of position from rampant to contourne and forcene (enraged) and also adding the crined and unguled Or.

I do understand that arms that are this simple in nature are going to run the risk of duplicating some arms from some other person from somewhere and I am making it a policy now if it is not already, to make every attempt to avoid duplication of blazon.
Regards,

Terry Baldwin

JMcMillan

Postby JMcMillan » 14 Sep 2016, 19:27

Chris Green wrote:There are many historical arms that are more similar than the two illustrated here.

Yes, but presumably from an era when finding possible near-duplications took more than a couple of keystrokes.
Joseph McMillan
Alexandra, Virginia, USA

Ryan Shuflin

Postby Ryan Shuflin » 15 Sep 2016, 13:40

I would describe the example emblazonment as rampant, but the official blazon of the Temple is salient. I am not sure if forcene is a horse specific term for salient or rampant. I also don't consider azure and Bleu-celeste a significant difference. I mentioned linear differences because I believe that the College of Arms requires at least two linear differences between arms of unrelated persons. Perhaps the IAAH should have a similar policy?

As far as duplicate arms, the precedent is usually to forbid identical arms in the same jurisdiction, and the IAAH is is international, although arguably without jurisdiction.

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 15 Sep 2016, 14:13

I know the arms are technically different, but barely. If you count contourne as a lineal difference, that is the only one.

Contourné is a considerably bigger lineal difference than, say, rampant guardant is to rampant reguardant.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Terry Baldwin

Postby Terry Baldwin » 16 Sep 2016, 16:07

Azure and Bleu-celeste are different tinctures, that they are similar not withstanding. Taking note of Brooke-Little's Heraldic Alphabet pg 101 notation "Forcene properly used to describe a horse rearing up or salient, but has been incorrectly used on many occasions, even in official blazon, to describe a horse rampant." The Inner Temple Pegasus is clearly rampant, while that in the Chambers emblazonment is forcene (salient). It is agreed that the arms are similar, even closely similar, but in my judgement are sufficient to meet the CoA requirements.

Given the time and effort to search all or nearly all of sources for matching arms would be prohibitive, we can only do our best to see that our emblazonments meet the CoA requirements, which is my policy, if not the IAAH.
Regards,

Terry Baldwin

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 16 Sep 2016, 16:47

The IAAH does not have the resources, nor its DAR team the time, to research proposed blazons to the nth degree. Would that we could! We would certainly not countenance any conscious copying of extant arms.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Return to “Design Assistance Requests”