International Heraldry Day

General Heraldry subjects
Tomasz Steifer

International Heraldry Day

Postby Tomasz Steifer » 14 Apr 2013, 00:23

Polish Heraldic Community , in the persons of the representatives of the Board, Tomasz Steifer, Vice-President of PHC and Pawel S. Towpik, Secretary of the Board, proposes to create a new tradition - the International Day of heraldry. This was to a great, over political, international opportunity for meetings, conferences and taken away heraldic organization, heralds and heraldist of different countries and continents, to the posting of flags, especially heraldic, dress in heraldic tunics and tabards, etc.
We propose that this international day of heraldry at 10 June. On that day, in the year 1128, in Rouen was knighted, by his future father in law, Henry I Beauclerc, Godfrey Plantagenet. Suspended during the ceremony on the neck of a young knight shield blue decorated six golden lions, is recognized by most of the heralds, for the first time in history, fully formed coat of arms.
We are curious about your opinion about this idea, as well as to the choice of this, in our opinion, appropriate and universal date. Or maybe there are other suggestions?

http://www.novaheraldia.net/
Last edited by Tomasz Steifer on 14 Apr 2013, 11:36, edited 1 time in total.
regards

Tomasz Steifer
IAAH Fellow

Chris Green

Re: International Heraldry Day

Postby Chris Green » 14 Apr 2013, 07:49

The South African heraldic authority I believe held such a day (week?) a year or so ago, though unconnected to any historical event. The IAAH Board briefly discussed the possibility of promoting such an idea to other heraldic authorities but without reaching any positive conclusion.

Speaking as an individual, not on behalf of the IAAH Board, I think the PHC's choice of date is a good one. I cannot think of another occasion when heraldry can be said to have "arrived" in that it was a major royal event recorded for posterity. The occasion was of international significance - Geoffrey was French; he was knighted by King Henry I the English father of his bride Matilda, who was daughter of Edith of Scotland and the widow of the Holy Roman Emperor Henry V. There is moreover an image of Geoffrey (not Godfrey) bearing his heraldic shield which could be used as the "logo" for the events around the world.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Arthur Radburn

Postby Arthur Radburn » 14 Apr 2013, 15:39

Chris Green wrote:The South African heraldic authority I believe held such a day (week?) a year or so ago, though unconnected to any historical event.

They do something every year, as part of the annual "Archives Awareness Week". The next one is due shortly -- as it's the Bureau's 50th anniversary on 1 June, perhaps they'll make it a bit celebratory this year.

I cannot think of another occasion when heraldry can be said to have "arrived" in that it was a major royal event recorded for posterity. The occasion was of international significance - Geoffrey was French; he was knighted by King Henry I the English father of his bride Matilda, who was daughter of Edith of Scotland and the widow of the Holy Roman Emperor Henry V. There is moreover an image of Geoffrey (not Godfrey) bearing his heraldic shield which could be used as the "logo" for the events around the world.

Good points in support of 10 June, Chris.
Regards
Arthur Radburn

steven harris

Postby steven harris » 17 Apr 2013, 21:05

June 10th - I like it!

It looks like South Africa's "Archives and Heraldry Awareness Week" is at the end of May.
Steven A. Harris, Fellow
IAAH member since February 2008
https://goo.gl/btEhVg

Chas Charles-Dunne

Postby Chas Charles-Dunne » 18 Apr 2013, 12:40

I see no reason why we should not adopt June 10th as international Heraldry Day.

Two men (John Baur and Mark Summers), created International Talk Like a Pirate Day, way back in 1995 mostly without the aid of the internet (Arr, with a curse).

With a little effort we could reach as big a market.
Regards
Chas
IAAH Fellow

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Postby Jeremy Keith Hammond » 23 Apr 2013, 18:29

I approve of this!

Now how does one go about establishing any international day of observance - much less a heraldry one.
Jeremy Keith Hammond, IAAH Fellow
Member since 2007

My website

Ryan Shuflin

Postby Ryan Shuflin » 23 Apr 2013, 23:27

Jeremy Keith Hammond wrote:I approve of this!

Now how does one go about establishing any international day of observance - much less a heraldry one.

Well, I think the first step would be to spread the idea to other heraldry enthusiasts involved (this seems to already be happening), as well as suggest it to the relevant authorities. Another question is how do we observe it? With refreshments of course! Any other ideas for how International Heraldry Day could be celebrated?

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Postby Jeremy Keith Hammond » 03 May 2013, 17:26

Ryan Shuflin wrote:Another question is how do we observe it? With refreshments of course! Any other ideas for how International Heraldry Day could be celebrated?

By making an even greater effort to display heraldry and speak to friends and family about it! It's also a great opportunity to organize meet and greets for any heraldry enthusiasts who live near each other.
Jeremy Keith Hammond, IAAH Fellow
Member since 2007

My website

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 03 May 2013, 17:44

I wait with bated breath to hear our President's proposal for how to take forward this excellent idea. A similar suggestion was allowed to slide last year and this shouldn't be allowed to happen again. The IAAH and other non-official heraldic bodies have a chance to put pressure on the heraldic authorities to do something to bring heraldry to the attention of the general public. Let's not allow this initiative to drop.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 14 May 2013, 13:18

As there has to date been silence from our President on this subject, I now formally propose that on 10 June he address a letter to the heads of all the Heraldic Authorities, and to as many Heraldic Societies and fora as we can think of, proposing that 10 June 2014 and annually thereafter be declared World Heraldry Day, explaining why, and encouraging them to devise interesting ways of bringing it to the attention of the public.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Return to “General Heraldry”